Slime/Bacteria/Algae in my tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Slime/Bacteria/Algae in my tank?

Hi guys I have a new 20G planted tank up and running for almost 2 months now. Tank is cycled and with live stocks slowing introduced. I had some cholla wood in the back of my tank that's intended for a hide out for fish/shrimps. But recently I starting to see some slime build up around the cholla wood, and there are some fuzzy stuff covering my java moss that I tied down to the drift wood as well. I can clean the slime off the cholla wood easily, but they would come back within 2-3 days. The problem seem to be only on the cholla wood and the java moss on the drift wood, I some moss stone next to the drift wood and they look clean, as well as other plants and decorations in my tank so far. These slime look similar to the bacteria that build up around the suction cups i used to hold my anubis to my aquarium wall. But unlike the bacteria on the suction cup, the ones on my cholla wood are more slimey and they smell very fishy, similar to the mucus from dead fish. Despite all this, my fish still love to hang out and hide inside the cholla wood, sometime I even see they pick on the wood and looks like they try to eat it.

Can anyone help me identify if these are bacteria or algae? What could be the possible cause and how can I get rid of it? The cholla wood I can rinse and clean it easily (tho I cant get the small off), but the java moss there is no way to clean them without ripping them off the drift wood and breaking them apart. The fish smell is only on the cholla wood, so I am not sure if it's the same thing as in the suction cup/java moss, or if the slime absorbs all the fishy smell because my fishes hang around it so much.

You can see pictures below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks more like bacteria than algae. Since it's a new tank I'm guessing its from that. You could spot treat with H2O2 if its algae and that will kill it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm too drunk to scape this tank.

I don't like aquatic plants, I love them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am doing some more research on this, it looks like they are more like fungus/bacteria associated with new woods that's introduced to aquarium, which makes sense since I only see it on the wood surface, and probably why I see it on drift wood moss but nothing on the moss on the rock. I had these woods in my tank from the beginning when I start cycling the tank, I did not see any of the fungus/bacteria build up until I start introduce fish, and I try to inject flourish excel on the java moss and it had no effect on them.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Algae Grower

yeah it's a fungus I got it on my driftwood when I first put it in my tank. my fish ended up picking at it until it was gone. you could scrub it off with a tooth brush if you don't want it in your tank

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any recommendation how to eliminate them from my java moss? I try injecting co2 and it did nothing to them, will h2o2 work? On the cholla wood it's easy to deal with, but the java moss it's very difficult to remove without damaging them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode