Local Rocks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Local Rocks

I am starting 2 new planted tanks( one being a shrimp tank). I wanted to use some rocks that I collected today but I am not sure if they are safe to use. I did the vinegar test with no fizzing but was not brave enough to use muratic acid. Looking for any help identifying if these rocks would be safe to use. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180531_160112.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	858441  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Not sure what they are, but historically I have only used the vinegar test as well. Simply have not purchased muriatic acid. If you are really concerned could you let some water sit in a bucket for a day then test ph, kh, gh, and then put the rocks in a test again, in say 24 hours and see if there is any change?

Never done that myself, but might be worth a shot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Algae Grower

Did you try to scratch the rock with a sharp object? King of diy, Joey, says if it doesn't leave a scratch mark then the rock is safe and if it does scratch then move on to the muriatic acid test

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Try scratching with a sharp knife

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-03-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemmer22 View Post
I am starting 2 new planted tanks( one being a shrimp tank). I wanted to use some rocks that I collected today but I am not sure if they are safe to use. I did the vinegar test with no fizzing but was not brave enough to use muratic acid. Looking for any help identifying if these rocks would be safe to use. Thanks!

I use muratic acid to clean driftwood after I have soaked it long enough so that it sinks. I use a solution of 3 parts water to 1 part acid then I pressure wash it with just water. Of I use the white tip on the nozzle so that I don’t destroy the wood. I haven’t had a problem using this method. I use a 55 gal food safe plastic barrel to soak , if you decide to get one make sure it has the top that unscrews. So long story short muratic acid will not hurt the rock if you don’t use it full strength.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is a question that should have two parts to it. One is whether the rock will change the tank water parameters and if that is enough to matter to you. Sop first one needs to look at what water you want to add the rocks to as where the water ends up depends on where it starts. Drop an alkaline rock in soft acidic water and you will get more change than if you drop it in hard alkaline water. So if it is a local rock that the local water runs in all the time, there is a good chance you will see no change. the two will have met in the middle a long time ago!! I use local limestone and see no change from adding rocks as the water is pumped out of limestone. So look at your water first before worry about testing?
Then ask what any testing does and why some rocks fizz. If you use muriatic acid and get a reaction, does that mean it will change your water if the PH is not as extreme as acid? Probably not! I keep in mind that my tanks are rarely filled with acid. Think of it as putting black ink in paint. If you put it in white paint, you get much more change than if you put it in black paint. So testing with acid may throw out some good rocks---unless you use acid in the tank also! Thinking judgement needed.
Second part is what on or in the nooks and crannies of the rock. That means where has it been and what it has picked up that might harm a fish. Pesticides, oil, bugs, fungus , mold or "just something" is what I want to clear, just because I don't want to deal with any unknowns later. Like washing my dishes? I feel better knowing they are clean rather than guessing so I treat them the same. I do a bleach soak as it is the standard for clearing things out of drinking water. It's in most tap water so I use it to soak anything that goes in the tank and deal with the chlorine in the same way. I dilute it and then let it gas off as it dries.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I have read somewhere that vinegar is not strong enough, and that muriatic acid was the way to go, and thus, that's what I ended up getting. The thing is really good to detect what will fizz and what wouldn't.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode