Water change with delicate stem plants? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By IntotheWRX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water change with delicate stem plants?

I recently started E.I. dosing ferts, which requires a 50% water change once a week. The tank is still quite new, it has been up and running for about a month. I've been adding more plants, but now I think I may run into a problem. I have some bacopa that I added to the tank last week. The substrate I used is Samurai Soil, and it is a complete pain in the ass to get stem plants to stay in the substrate and not float up to the top. If I am doing a 50% water change, I'm almost certain that as soon as the water gets low enough for the bacopa to not be fully suspended, it will be uprooted. This is probably a stupid question, but is there anything I can do differently about the water change? Or is my only option to just get some lead weights to hold the plants down?

Thanks in advance.

"There's hay in my coffee and fur on my clothes, a treat in my hand and a bunny on my toes!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
You didn't say how big the tank is but if you have the time do 25% twice week. because you dose daily there will be no loss in plant nutrition...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Doogy262 Sorry, the tank is 30 gallon. 2x weekly is ok with E.I. dosing method? What other day of the week should I do a change? Assuming on one of the days I would dose the micros? Does it matter if it would be a micro or macro day? Thanks

"There's hay in my coffee and fur on my clothes, a treat in my hand and a bunny on my toes!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Hi Bec., this my method of EI that works well for me,two days macro,one day micro,two days macro one day micro,water change.I'm retired so I like to play with my tanks so I will often do a water change twice a week{more for the fish than the plants}.On the second water change I just add what ever is scheduled after the change.Have had no issues for 4 years. Ed
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Doogy262 thank you!I like to play with my tank so 2x weekly changes is fine for me.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccanne View Post
I recently started E.I. dosing ferts, which requires a 50% water change once a week. The tank is still quite new, it has been up and running for about a month. I've been adding more plants, but now I think I may run into a problem. I have some bacopa that I added to the tank last week. The substrate I used is Samurai Soil, and it is a complete pain in the ass to get stem plants to stay in the substrate and not float up to the top. If I am doing a 50% water change, I'm almost certain that as soon as the water gets low enough for the bacopa to not be fully suspended, it will be uprooted. This is probably a stupid question, but is there anything I can do differently about the water change? Or is my only option to just get some lead weights to hold the plants down?

Thanks in advance.
You don't have to follow strictly to the EI dosing rules. You can dose less. You can change your water 20% at a time whenever is good for you. Don't get shackled to the rules.
Doogy262 and Doogy262 like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@IntotheWRX Thank you. Since I'm not very knowledgeable about all of this, I thought it would be best to try to stick to the "standard". I was warned by a few different people to "be careful" with dry ferts and that mistakes can "destroy your tank".. So I was a bit wary to stray from the instructions at all.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccanne View Post
@IntotheWRX Thank you. Since I'm not very knowledgeable about all of this, I thought it would be best to try to stick to the "standard". I was warned by a few different people to "be careful" with dry ferts and that mistakes can "destroy your tank".. So I was a bit wary to stray from the instructions at all.
EI dosing is meant to over-saturate your fertilization giving the plants plenty of what they need. think of it like a buffet. but it requires you to hit the restart button (water change) frequently so your tank doesn't get too pumped up with fertilization juice. You can always scale down from EI dosing rules.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode