How do I get rid of this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I get rid of this?

So I just started this tank about a week ago(w/ cycling like a month) put these new baby tears and dwarf hairgrass in it...decided to get some shrimp added minerals(salty shrimp) to RO water. Next day there is this film on my plants and now it seems to keep growing and there is algae growing on the film...it's all over my tank..seems like it's outta control...shrimp aren't eating it...idk..I'll put some pics...what do you guys recommend I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0974_1527635696433.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	857993  

Name:	IMG_0973_1527635708201.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	858001  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:01 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
This sort of hairy algae is not uncommon in new tanks. It can take a few weeks to a few months for it to disappear. Which is a big strain on ones patience.

To speed up the whole cycle until the tank finds its equilibrium, there are a few things we can do. They usually center around giving plants the best possible growing conditions, while trying to completely ignore the algae. Sounds easier than it actually is.

Assuming you have enough (but not too much) light over your tank, the next step is to look at plant nutrients, aka fertilizers. By far most frequently missing are macros (NPK), and among them, usually N (Nitrates) is the culprit. So first step, check for that, and if NO3 is zero then that's the first thing that needs to be addressed.

Also, if you have strong light, CO2 injection is recommended.

Another thing is that with new tanks, you want to stuff them full of fast growers. This is kinda weird, but it's better to have a lot of plants in there in the beginning, and later, once everything is in balance, cut back some of the plant mass and do some real aquascaping.

When I started my 250 gal tank, I had similar stuff (nastier - brown- looking) and even though I thought I did everything right, it took about 6 weeks for it to disappear. However, after it was gone there were no more issues with algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Awesome info...Thanks...so I'll start by cutting back the light, and my co2 kit is coming in tmrw ...I ordered it way before but they missed it and sent it late, and finally check for Nitrate and Nitrite...I also got this new light I can't find on google at my LFS it's called the Aqueon clip on Planted tank edition....provides pretty good lighting...I'll put a pic...anyways thanks for the info
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0961_1527639771603.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	858009  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:45 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Sounds good. Nitrites should be zero, Nitrates around 10ppm - perhaps a bit more with high light levels.

Patience is key though... Nothing good happens overnight (in planted tanks, at least). Sit it out and don't try too many things at once.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode