Aquarium Setup - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium Setup

I am in the process of revamping my 55gal aquarium. I was overwhelmed this algae, emptied everything out, about to clean aquarium glass, heater filter ect... any suggestions for this process. I was reading about vinegar and water for the aquarium and soaking the other items in bleach...please advise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
What type of algae are we talking here? Is the tank planted? If so, how heavily?

I wouldn't rush to dump vinegar in my tank. Didn't know that was even a thing. You can soak hardscape materials in a diluted bleach solution and maybe even some hardier plants. Chances are, it'll just reappear after a few days, if you don't address the issue that is causing it. Most algae will disappear after the tank matures some if everything else is in order.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is a good time for a bit of thought about how bad things are!
Got so much algae that you are totally starting over and that means killing algae and then maybe the filter, etc. has some fungus that may have grown while it has been shut down? At that point, I look at the soft media in the filter and try to decide if I want keep it and sterilize the whole thing or just ditch the soft, cheaper stuff. Any known diseases in the tank which you might also want to make sure they are killed? What about the sub? Is it a keeper item or just cheap stuff that is better ditched? Sand is pretty cheap and maybe not worth the work to soak and then dry?
So If I want to really kill it all and make sure there are no snails, fungus, snakes or crawdads, I do a pretty heavy bleach soak and do it simple. I add 1/2 to full cup of plain, unscented, no color bleach and fill the tank. Just the cheap stuff with nothing added!! Then I start the filter and let it all run through to get all the parts sterile at one shot. Let it run over night or so until you get back to it and then carefully drain the bleach water somewhere like down the drain so that it doesn't kill the grass in the yard, etc. All during this, make sure not to get bleach water on any good clothing that you don't want holes or white spots!
Once drained, then I almost always need to scrape algae and clean the glass good, rinsing as I ggo. By the time I get it all rinsed, drained and rinsed some more, most all the bleach and chlorine are gone so that it has stopped smelling. If I still smell chlorine, I may let it dry to gas off and then I'm ready to start rebuilding, recycle, and restart. Too strong on the bleach and you may find the soft media needs to be replaced as it may fall apart. If not wanting to risk that medai and sure there is nothing in it like disease or snail eggs, I pull it out before running the bleach through.
Not a fun thing but I look at it like my dishes that I eat off. Not fun to wash them but I sure feel better knowing they are all clean and safe when I start eating. It removes lots of those little doubts that can show up later.
Vinegar is good for softening any hard water deposits or wiping the glass down.
AbbeysDad and AbbeysDad like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If your fish are infected by a pathogen you need to treat them.
The imbalance causing algae must be rectified.
The only thing you are doing by restarting a tank in this context is killing the nitrifying bacteria.
Identify the cause of death and isolate and treat fish. Treat tank.
Reduce lighting. C02 should come on at least 1 hour before lights and go off one hour before lights off.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode