300 gallon setup and stocking questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
300 gallon setup and stocking questions

Ok so I am getting a 330 gallon tank sized 108 x 24 x 30 tall. I picked up a 225 gallon divided acrylic tank sized 96 x 18 x 24. Currently the sump tank is divided into 3 categories I plan to place a few more and divide it as such.

Drains with a 200 micron sock heading into a aqua mesh coarse filter and then into some filter pad. It will lead under the divided and hit about 8 bags of SeaChem matrix and 4 bags of some fluval bio media I can not remember the name of. Going over the divider it will be in the middle and hit my 70 gallon section filled with 4 cubic feet of k1 mini with 5 air stones and a alita 60 air pump. It will then flow out and this section will most likely just be nothing unless someone can come up with something to add outside just a section for pumps heaters and maybe a carbon reactor. Maybe a big plant to help with nitrates if they seem to be out of control later.

I will have the tank in my living room on a wall that is butt up against the garage and the sump will be located in that garage. Currently I have for a set up besides the sump items. 2 apex cor 20 pumps, an apex system, blue led strand for night lights, 2 Evo quad 6700k lights. 2 800 way heaters. There will be 2 1” returns and 2 1.5” drains. I have 2 tunze 6105 and 6095 powerhead. 1 in each side and the 6095 in the back to flow back there and maybe adding a second back there to help spread if need be.

As far as plants I’d like to do some basic forgiving plants. I’d like to try and avoid co2 I think it will become a hassle to keep it accurate with so much water. So any recommendations on what you would suggest with what items I have currently would be nice.

As far as stocking.... I’d like the most advice with this. I have a 120 gallon tank that had about 30 cichlids in it and I returned some to a fish store because they were just breeding like crazy. And about a month after that the 120 sprung a leak and before I could stop the water and clean up the mess I neglected the fish too long and lost a few and then I set the sump outside and I think the poor water conditions finished most of the rest off. So currently I have 1 mbuna and 2 Malawi peacocks.

Ive obviously considered keeping maybe 30-50 cichlids in the tank but feel the fighting and a ton of the same fish may become boring to see. I’ve thought about a freshwater ray and keep it with some cichlids and Pleco or something until it gets to a bigger size, any thoughts or experiences with these guys? I’ve only ever seen them mostly as a pair separate. I’ve thought of doing a mild planted tank with a few cichlids maybe 10 and just a bunch of random things like snails, Plecos, gouramis, ottos, cats and such to give a more natural mixture of fish in such a large aquarium.

Any thoughts and opinions would help up on what you would change or advice to be careful with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you're looking to do mBuna you'd be limited to very hardy plants (java ferns, anubus, maybe crypts) as they will root up and beat up anything else. I've kept Tanganyika rock dwellers in planted tanks with pretty good success. With 330g you could do a nice colony of Frontosa with Julies, Comps/Cavs, etc. I'd direct you to look up Frank Muellers 240g Frontosa tank on the web and it might give you a good idea on stocking as well as simplifying your sump setup.

Or you could go South American, Keyhole chichlids, Rams, Apisto, etc. as your chichlids with LARGE schools of dither fish. A tank that large with 100+ cardinal / neon tetras weaving in and out of a heavily planted tank would be stunning.

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode