Quantity of Prime to use during a fish-in cycle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quantity of Prime to use during a fish-in cycle?

Hey all, I am fish-in cycling my QT tank on my new rack. It's a 10g, and I was wondering... should I use enough Prime for the full quantity of water in the tank or just the water I'm replacing? I'm doing a 40-50% wc every other day. I ask for the purposes of converting ammonia to ammonium.

My gut says the full tank volume, but is that necessary? I should also mention that I squeezed an established sponge filter into the tank, so the new filter is somewhat seeded. First test for ammonia and nitrites were 0.25-0.5 ppm and 0 ppm respectively after 24 hours.

I have MTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
dose according to the instruction on the bottle......for the total volume of water.

FIY....squeezing out a sponge filter isnt going to do much to establish the beneficial bacteria. Those bacteria live on the filter not in the water the filter is holding.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I understand the water from the established sponge filter itself won't do anything, which is why I tried to get as much gunk out of it when I squeezed it as I could. It ended up being about 8 oz of murky brown water when I dumped it into the new tank to be seeded.

I have MTS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What is the pH? ammonia is muck less of problem at lower than 7 pH.
nitrites, on the other hand, are always problematic..
Quote:
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of new water. For smaller volumes, please note each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 C (86 F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.
you can kill fish w/ too much Prime btw..Not sure I'd evr go 5x unless a really large nitrite spike.

Not sure water changes at this stage is really important..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Neutral pH, not much buffering capacity.

I have MTS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you're mixing the water with Prime separately, add only as much as is needed for that volume of water. Personally, if your water has ammonium or ammonia in it already, I'd do this so as not to flood your fish with ammonia before the Prime takes care of it.
If you put the Prime directly into the tank and add water to the tank, use as much as would be needed for the entire aquarium's worth of water.
If you have a ton of nitrites, just do a water change, don't fiddle around with adding a ton of anything.

Sponge filter gunk will definitely give you a boost, it's just hard to tell how much of one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I feel you may be fighting the fight on two fronts when one will do just as well. Adding Prime does convert the ammonia to ammonium for a short period but then is it not better to just remove both ammonia, ammonium and nitrate with water changes?
My my purposes at this point and with a small tank, I would just go straight to doing enough water changes to solve both problems. The amount of dechlor/ Prime used is then set by how much you are treating in that container. For me, I go for using a small bucket like one or two gallon, treating that and dumping into the ten gallon. I see no reason/need to use Prime to treat the whole ten and then remove it the next time I do a water change.
But for a quicker cycle, is it at all possible to swap an old established filter media into the new filter and the new to an old established tank. An old tank will have lots of bacteria. Almost anything that feels slick/slimy is prone to being bacteria and that lets us move filter media unless there is a real crisis of nearly overstocking the established tank. Or if it is possible to swap just half, we can get pretty close to being fully cycled much quicker.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've actually already asked a question about that exact thing in another thread about a week ago about how I should go about it. It's here.

I have MTS

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode