New Soiled Tank is Cloudy - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 2 Post By IntotheWRX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello All,

I’m glad to speak with y’all. I’ve been anonymously browsing the forums and it’s been a great help with my aquarium questions.

My situation:
I’ve recently soiled my 10g, 2 days and 4 major water changes later, the water continuously becomes a murky brown. My instinct says just keep up the the daily 50% water changes and it should be fine. There’s a Betta in there and he appears to be doing fine.

History:
I had previously setup the same tank without any soil, with several plants, and root tabs. I thought it would be sufficient as I picked up some low light and easy plants. In summary the plants, didn’t do too well and started to degrade and cause spikes. Hence I thought to start the tank over with soil, and then replaced the aquascape.

My Setup:
10g tank
HOB filter rated for 10-20
Sponge filter rated for 20g
Heater rated for 20g (I don’t think this matters)
1 inch sand substrate
1 inch top soil

Stock:
1 Betta

I also have a 20g, with plants and gravel with heavier stocking. The plants are doing okay I suppose, but it’s not as lush as I would like them to be. I thought this 10g would be a good 1st go around.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Here’s an image of the tank where you can see the plants that I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1526969131177.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	856410  

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

1" of dirt is a lot for a 10 gallon. I think you are doing the right thing with the 50% water changes, keep those up. I would add some carbon or better yet purigen to the filter to help take out tannings, the cloudiness is likely a bacteria bloom, it should go away on its own with those 50% water changes.
SeaBee1 and SeaBee1 like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:31 PM
Algae Grower

Agreed... looks like a bloomin' bacterial bloom. That is common for a newly set up tank and will run its coarse soon enough with the water changes.

CB
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!

What time frame am I looking at to continue with the water changes before i should start to consider other options? I’ve moved my betta into a small bowl for now until the 10g is sorted out.

OR should I keep him in there to keep the cycle going?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydicky View Post
Thanks for the help!

What time frame am I looking at to continue with the water changes before i should start to consider other options? Iíve moved my betta into a small bowl for now until the 10g is sorted out.

OR should I keep him in there to keep the cycle going?
Shouldn't need any ammonia source with "fresh" dirt. It should be releasing loads of ammonia. I would get some purigen anyway, helps keep the water sparkling clean anyway and will help with tannins.

I don't have any experience with bacteria blooms so I'm not sure how long it will take. Whoops.... I did have one once. Took a bout a week, but it was minor.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydicky View Post
Hereís an image of the tank where you can see the plants that I have.
build up a colony of beneficial bacteria in your filter. those bacteria will help clean up your cloudy water and make your water crystal clear. should take a few days.
SeaBee1 and SeaBee1 like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
1" of dirt is a lot for a 10 gallon. I think you are doing the right thing with the 50% water changes, keep those up. I would add some carbon or better yet purigen to the filter to help take out tannings, the cloudiness is likely a bacteria bloom, it should go away on its own with those 50% water changes.
Whats heavier?....10 pounds of bricks or 10 pounds of feathers? 1" of dirt in a 10 gallon is pretty much the same as 1" of dirt in any other tank. I'd say just about right if capped with roughly 1" of something else on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Shouldn't need any ammonia source with "fresh" dirt. It should be releasing loads of ammonia. I would get some purigen anyway, helps keep the water sparkling clean anyway and will help with tannins.

I don't have any experience with bacteria blooms so I'm not sure how long it will take. Whoops.... I did have one once. Took a bout a week, but it was minor.
Not all dirt will release ammonia. The bacterial bloom will take however long it takes for the bacteria colony to grow large enough to handle the ammonia/nitrite in the tank basically. Might take only a day or two in one tank yet weeks in another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
build up a colony of beneficial bacteria in your filter. those bacteria will help clean up your cloudy water and make your water crystal clear. should take a few days.
Say what? beneficial bacteria will do nothing other than consume ammonia and nitrite. Definitely not going to make a tank crystal clear. In fact the colonization of the bacteria itself can make the water appear cloudy. (the bacterial bloom).

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Say what? beneficial bacteria will do nothing other than consume ammonia and nitrite. Definitely not going to make a tank crystal clear. In fact the colonization of the bacteria itself can make the water appear cloudy. (the bacterial bloom).
How does a cloudy white water in a new tank turn crystal clear in days?

I always thought it was the billions of beneficial bacteria "cleaning" it up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Whats heavier?....10 pounds of bricks or 10 pounds of feathers? 1" of dirt in a 10 gallon is pretty much the same as 1" of dirt in any other tank. I'd say just about right if capped with roughly 1" of something else on top.

Not all dirt will release ammonia. The bacterial bloom will take however long it takes for the bacteria colony to grow large enough to handle the ammonia/nitrite in the tank basically. Might take only a day or two in one tank yet weeks in another.

10 gallon:

20" x 10" x 1" = 200 cubic inches of dirt

200 / 10 gallons = 20 'dirt units'

90 gallon:

48" x 18" x1" = 864 cubic inches of dirt

864 / 90 gallons = 9.6 'dirt units'

So by my math, 1" in 'all tanks' is a very very broad statement. Just my $0.02 anyway.

While not all dirt will release ammonia, a lot will. Unless it was perfectly mineralized, organic material will decompose resulting in ammonia, no different than fish waste or plant matter decomposing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode