Help!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Help!!!

Hey folks,

I'm looking for help with my tank. It's a 150 gallon with a 40-gallon sump using the herbie overflow. The return pump is a Varios 8 DC pump. I have been seriously struggling with CO2. No matter what I try, I cannot get a 1 point drop in PH. I use a Neptune Apex to monitor the PH and a PH pen plus API test kit to verify the Apex readings. Currently, I am using a 20" Cerges reactor with 1" ports run inline from the Varios 8 return pump to the tank. I have tried running closed loop with a needle wheel pump with the cerges reactor. I have tried a Griggs reactor 25 inches in length and 4-inch diameter. A modified calcium reactor. The most the PH has ever dropped was .8. If I had to guess the bubble count is around 15+. It's hard to tell because I have the needle valve open so that I pretty much get a steady stream going through the bubble counter. It's really high. I have read through all the CO2 posts I could to see what others are using. I don't understand why I cannot get CO2 into this tank. Others with similar tank/sump sizes have like 10 BPS with the smaller Cerges or Griggs reactors and are obtaining optimal CO2 levels. Somehow with the largest Cerges reactor I'm still not getting CO2 to optimal levels and more microbubbles entering the tank from the reactor than an in tank diffuser lol.

I would really really really appreciate any insight as to what the problem is or what I should try to get my CO2 to proper levels!? Let me know if there is any additional information about the setup is needed.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I'm not understanding how to get the best diffusion of CO2 with a cerges reactor. How do I find the right balance of flow, back pressure, dwell time for CO2 diffusion?

Here is a how the aquarium is plumbed in the sump:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SUMP PLUMBING.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	856506

Is there something wrong with how the sump return is plumbed that is preventing the 1 degree PH drop?

Again any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode