Setting up a planted tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Setting up a planted tank.

Hey y’all. I currently have a 20 gallon with all fake plants and now that I have some experience I feel like having a go at a planted tank. The tricky bit is I have no clue what I need to do to convert it. Any advice is welcome, thanks. Ps the pic is my current tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4E10A1F7-1DD9-4A6B-AC8C-0DE4382B6530_1526958907166.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	856394  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

Plants need 4 things, although some may argue only 3. Nutrients, light, good substrate, and Co2. Some say you can go with plain sand, with good results, like Greggz, but from what i have seen, plants are bushier with a good substrate.

Nutrients: Read into Microdosing, you can order an EI dosing kit from Green Leaf Aquatics.
Light: Light and Co2 should be based off of each other, read into balancing the two. Any light designed for plants should be good, or you can buy some T5 grow lights from https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/t...ight-fixtures/ . A 2ft 2 bulb light should be good.
Co2: Definitely do your research. On a small tank like yours, DIY can be good: the King of DIY has a good video on that. If you have the money, look into a full pressurized Co2 system.
Substrate: Either sand with a bunch of root tabs or ADA aquasoil is good. Ecocomplete, stratum, and that stuff is pretty much inert. ADA soil can be bought on AquaforestAquarium website.

Sometimes you just need a little more cake.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:01 AM
Algae Grower

Hi,

If you have no experience with a planted tank I would go with a low tech (no co2) planted tank.

You will need a good substrate, such as Seachem Flourite or Eco Complete. Starting off with a good substrate is important. Another thing you'll need is good lighting. I doubt your current lighting will grow plants well. A light designed for plants at your LFS should do well. You can use Seachem Flourish fertilizer to enhance plant growth.

Start out with hardy plants such as Anubias, Cryptocoryne, Water Sprite, and Java fern.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode