Emersed plants aquarium plants grown outside in garden? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Emersed plants aquarium plants grown outside in garden?

I have a question about growing emersed aquarium plants grown outside in garden?

I have 2 situations where I have tried this and one situation it worked great and plants are thriving and the other situation every plant died.

Situation #1, I have an Air condition drain where water constantly drips from humidity pulled out of my air conditioner system. This is in a very sunny area.

The ground is like solid rock so I threw some plastic trash bags on the ground to prevent drainage in a very sloppy way, then made a frame out of bricks and threw some miracle grow soil in the box.
The dripping water keeps the area moist 24/7, plants are doing great and overgrowing to surrounding areas. Can't see how heavy the soil is because too many plants growth.

Situation #2.

I took a large planter which did not have the drainage holes. I threw in a bunch of soil, I forgot if I added peat moss or not.
I then emptied my aquarium water into the pot until the water became up to the top and threw in a ton of aquarium plants. Area is a mostly shaded area that gets some direct sun but not nearly as much as the first one. The soil is like heavy mud

Every plant died .

Any idea why situation #1 thrives but situation #2 waste land of death?

My theories:

Sunlight vs Shade
Wet( yet drained) soil has more oxygen vs mud(without oxygen)?

Does anyone have any theories on why this happen or advice on growing Emersed plants aquarium?

Reason I ask is because I'm making a new much larger Emersed plants garden and I want to try to ensure the plants will survive vs turning out like in situation #2.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Humidity. First group is getting constant water flow (like rain drops). Second group is sitting stagnant and as water evaporates some water is taken from the plant (transpiration).
All my emersed growth is in shoebox or larger clear fully enclosed Tupperware containers. They get spritzed 3 times a day. Soil is miracle grow organic. They are in an area that gets direct sunlight for only about 90 minutes a day.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode