Eheim Media - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eheim Media

Im starting a Plant tank and wanted to know what type of media you use on your Eheim for the planted tank. Do you use what comes with it or do you swap it out for other stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I use what came with my Eheim, but I augment it with 100 micron filter felt that I cut in circles so it will fit. My Ecco is not too good at polishing, so I stick that on the top of the other media. Works OK, but has to be changed more regularly than the other media requires. I've got to replace that every few weeks.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 03:45 AM
Planted Member

I run what came with mine with the exception of the carbon pad. Then to clean, I rinse all the media with tank water about every six months.

Eheim Pimp Club member #7
Pimp Thread Starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 05:40 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I ordered an Eheim 2126 Pro II that won't get here for another week or so. It doesn't come with any media so what would you recomend in my case?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies! My Eheim 2026 came as a bundle with the media and a different type of intake and spray bar. Im probably still a month away from setting everything up as I still have to order the stand for my new tank.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 09:57 PM

Even though I have a fluval 404 (great filter by the way) I use eheim substrate. Hey scolley, where do you get the filter felt from?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Bad news Wolverinefan. I get it from an LFS. And pretty expensive too, maybe $20 for a sheet. But fortunately a sheet is something like 6'x3', so you can cut quite a few Ecco sized circles out of it. I'll wager a Google search for something like "micron felt aquarium" will be productive though, if Big Al's, ThatFishPlace, et al. does not have it.

But if you want the LFS address, I'd be happy to look it up. I just suspect that you can find it cheaper elsewhere. EVERYTHING is cheaper than my LFS.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
All you need is polyester fiber floss, can get it at wal mart for 2 bucks, a couples months worth, in the crafts section.
for a heavy plant tank, it's really all you need.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Does that fiber floss polish, or is it just a replacement for the Eheim fine filter pads?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
It will polish..Thats all I use in my canisters, just the floss. and it is very cheap.

Craig

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Great. Thanx for the tip!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Algae Grower

It's all about surface area! use what came w/ the filter (except for the carbon pad - it'll suck up nutrients). I just re-tasked and eheim 2213 that i had on a goldfish tank a few years ago. bought a box of ehfimech, a box of ehfisubstrat and coarse and fine filter pads. i set it up like so:

approx 2 inches ehfimech on the bottom (more than eheim suggests, but i needed this extra to fill up the canister completely).

next, a coarse filter pad (more to separate the different media than anything else)

next, use the WHOLE box of ehfisubstrat (after you rinse it thoroughly to remove all the sand-like particles)
finish it off w/ the fine filterpad - protects the impeller

obviously this is for a 2213, other filters'll need differing amounts of media.

i wouldn't use the carbon pad or other type of carbon to polish the water, unless you have pretty hard water and you need soft water in your tank. that carbon'll suck out all the nutrients out of the water column in no time, and then be used up (so you'll have to replace it).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode