Preparing for Hurricane Season - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Preparing for Hurricane Season

So I live in South Texas and everyone is nervous about this year's hurricane season after the devastation of Harvey. I'm worried about my fish tank because I don't think it can survive an 8 day power outage. How can I prepare for this season? I don't have a large budget but I don't mind spending some money to protect my babies in case of a power outage at any time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good on you, sir, for the simple act of thinking ahead gets you some real valuable points!!
I've been fortunate enough to not be in hurricane path but I have dealt with stormbreak trips and restoring things does take a long time. Forever when dealing with it daily.
But the folks I see coping best seem to find things that serve multiple purposes. Keeping fish happy may be low on the scale but they can fit in with the "vital" stuff we really need/ want.
For lower budget but still making life half worthwhile, I find a small generator stored somewhere can be a lifesaver.
Since it is a budget item that may not be needed, I go for a low price, even if it is only used once. For under a hundred, you can get one large enough to run a number of things that really matter. Filters? Maybe but more important for the fish is getting some warm water so one that can power a small hotplate can be a real thrill when you want a warm meal or a cup of coffee. You may not get one to run more than a single item at a time but simple things like a warm meal and charging a cell phone can really be great news. Since hurricanes are usually seen ahead of time, wait to get the gas until a week or so away but then do have plenty on hand.
The neighbors may want to come over to the house with a single light bulb burning!!!

This might be one to look over:
https://www.harborfreight.com/900-Ma...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If its priority a geny is best. Battery operated air pumps while your filter media is in the tank maybe. Dont want to leave it stagnant. I've heard of people going through it for a defined amount of time with nothing. I'll wait for a response for that.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Would power generators be fine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode