Need help with a new setup, please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with a new setup, please

Hi everyone! I have a 125 gallon that I will be redoing once the goldfish are in their pond. I would like to put angelfish in there.

I need recommendations for substrate, how many angelfish to put in, tank mates, how many of those, plants, and filtration.

I'm doing this right and letting the plants establish for at least 6 months before adding most of the fish.

Thank you ahead of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sounds like a great opportunity! Go for it and never look back. Angels are great fish but you are correct in looking for the best setup. Perhaps the bottom is not as big a factor with angels as some since they rarely bother to get down too low other than to pick a few bits if they HAVE to. Their body shape makes them more inclined to look up for food, even though they can tip up to eat off the bottom so that may help drive the choice of tankmates. Not good with small fish who hang out near the top like neon tetra! They do eat fish in nature so don't press the luck, there?
But they also are not hard to find good mates if they are not put in with those who tend to swoop around underneath those nice long fins as it makes the angels really nervous. I'm not a fan of barbs and tetras for this pairing. Don't be put off too much with the cichlid/territorial thinking. I find they are not too concerned with territory until they pair off and want to clean and have a nest site. They will often choose a site and they do want others to stay out but the chase is not much more than 8-10 inches and then they come back to the project. Not normally any real harm done IF the other fish learns to avoid that spot. Some fish like cories just seem to have short term memories and they may get whacked around more often than I like but other small cichlids like acara, Laetacara curviceps, and rainbow cichlids are good for me. Lots of the catfish group will do but will eat eggs if you are wanting breeding!
Outlook/ finances and local situation all change the number question. I like five small angels and let them choose up pairs as I like to breed them but I also have a place where angels of size are highly valued by the shops as adult angels are terribly hard to shop without damage. I get enough to assure a pairing and sell off the rest very easy. When setting large tanks, I kind of let the fish show me who stays and who goes. Sometimes they all work out and sometimes not so I treat them like roommates! Good ones stay longer?
I go for the larger hardier plants by my nature but also they tend to be easier to work in large tanks with largish fish. Swords, crypts, anubia, red tiger lotus? I don't want small stuff that may get blown out of the ground if the fish takes off too quick!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode