Fungus on driftwood? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By kaldurak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've had these white stuff on my driftwood since I added it in my tank. It just keeps coming back whenever I try to scrape it off. I also had some anubias nana petite glued on the driftwoood but they all melted within a week. If this is some type of fungus, does it have anything to do with my anubias nana petite rotting? The other white stuff in the picture is the glue residue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_135244_1526757504424.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	855882  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is completely typical white wood fungus that commonly grows on a piece of wood in a tank. Sometimes mitigated by thoroughly boiling for a bit, but sometimes grows anyway after boiling.

It will go away on its own. Shrimp like to eat it. Otherwise, manual removal for a bit until it just stops growing after time.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adon...

Fungus isn't a bad thing. It develops from uneaten food that falls into the cracks and crevices in the driftwood. I got some Ramshorn snails and they cleaned it off the wood in a few days. Tank problems are most times water problems. What's you water change routine? Changing most of the tank water weekly will remove most dissolved toxins from the tank. Anubias is a very tough plant and seems to grow anywhere I put it. I'm wondering if something toxic from the dissolving glue is the problem. I use black cotton sewing thread to attach plants to pieces of wood. There's nothing toxic in it and the cotton thread eventually dissolved in the water.

M

"The fish keeping hobby is very simple. Just change out a lot of water, a lot of the time!"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Normal situation for the wood to have some food of some sort that the fungus will live on for a bit. All the little "critters" in nature have specific times/places when they can prosper and wood newly added is one for this type fungus! Usually not for long and not a hazard for the tank, so I have learned to just let it go. Kind of like snails, algae, or ugly fish? We can fight it and get rid of it in a couple weeks or we can ignore it and it will be gone in a couple weeks!
Plants that die? That's a whole different question and I would look that over and adjust as needed as there are lots of things that could do that. I would not think of any connection between the two questions other than being on the same log except for one question. Is the wood totally dry? It looks pretty fresh/green/new from here. Possible it is a root system recently dug from the yard?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for all the awesome reply guys. I guess I'll just gonna have to let nature takes its course and wait until it goes away naturally.
@PlantedRich I bought the driftwood at an aquarium store. Sorry for the bad photo. Here's a better picture of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1526831190564532308732_1526831211416.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	855994  

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adon View Post
Thanks for all the awesome reply guys. I guess I'll just gonna have to let nature takes its course and wait until it goes away naturally.
@PlantedRich I bought the driftwood at an aquarium store. Sorry for the bad photo. Here's a better picture of the tank.
Ok! Got a different look at/ idea of the wood. Up close, I thought I might be seeing bark and there are some few plants that are toxic even when eaten by dogs or cats. Not likely to be a worry here.
But then buying it in a store doesn't actually guarantee the wood since the stores do get it from guys like me who go out for hikes and collect the stuff. So the guarantee is only as good as the guy who collects it and the guy who buys it at the store!! Usually good but then I also see lots of folks both buying and selling at stores and some seem pretty suspect!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode