You people make me sick.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Angry You people make me sick....

I AM GREEN WITH ENVY!!

all you guys make these wonderful tanks and you dont stop at one! you make 20 gorgeous tanks! I would be lucky to get my first one to look half as good!

YOU GUYS AMAZE ME!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
They really are awesome! All you need to do is keep reading, research, and plan...then plan again. Then put that plan on this site for feedback.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Don't worry, not everyone on here has 20 amazing tanks! There are a handful that do, and that leads to the assumption that everyone has one. And you can bet that the people who do have had YEARS of experience dealing with ugly tanks, badly planned tanks, algae problems, water parameter issues; you name it, they've been there. That's why they're such a good source of advice!

So don't give up, everybody has to start somewhere (including myself <--- not an expert. )

Joy to the fishes!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I dont have 20 tanks.. but a beautiful tank to you might be the opposite to someone else... i kno someone who loves goldfish out of all the topical and saltwater fishes... hes experienced both but he sticks with goldfish and breeding them... but im guessing your interested in the tropical planted aquarium.. ME TOO... jst setted up my soil planted tank... hoping it goes well.. tones of research... and tons of "REDUEING" and replanting...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Planted Member

ive got 6 tanks, only 1 planted. it by far has outwieghed the othed 5 on time money and effort. even still i feel it is only so so. i cant stop messing with it and recently just switched everything to a bigger tank. i take comfort in thinking the ones with the amazing tanks have at some point been where i am.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:39 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I had a tank. Then I had two tanks. Then I had two tanks and a third, but that was only a quarantine tank. Now I have 2 tanks, an extra, plus a 1.5g nano that was going to be trash, and I'm going to Petsmart tomorrow to buy a quarantine tank. It's an ugly cycle. I need help.

*edit* okay, and then there's the 90g still sitting in my pickup after 2 days because I haven't found somebody who can help me move the monster into my house yet.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:41 AM
Planted Member

I've had 4 attempts at a successful planted tank over the past year - 3 of them total failures resulting in dead plants and dead fish. After getting serious by googling for tips and tricks, I'd always end up here reading posted information.

Since then, FINALLY, I've had some good success with strong plants and healthy fish. There's some good folks here. Just be patient, persistent and understand that there are many variables with many different opinions. It's all a scattershot when you come down to it. But, it helps to always have a reliable place to go to make sure whatever it is you are trying there are folks who've been there before multiple times.

The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Planted Member

I went nuts back in the early 90s. I had at least one tank in every room.

I strictly stick to one show tank and one utility tank these days. I may go nuts again if I have the money when I retire.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)
well i tried to be good when i got my ada tank with the thought of consolidating a couple "i have three now....4 if you count the 60p still boxed on the floor" but my wife "the voice of reason" said she would use my its and bits to feed the fish if i did as two of the tanks are only a year old lol....i had good intentions lol

Fluval EBI Pimp #3
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I only have 5 tanks, with 3 planted in some way.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
still there amazing!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I can guarantee you that everyone's first tank wasn't even half as good as you think it would be. I planted, replanted, rescaped, and replanted who knows how many times. There are so many different aquatic plants in this hobby. Not all of them are compatible with eachother. Some require more light,nutrients, and parameters than others. Then, theres the different types of aquascaping. I think I read all of the newbie threads and stickies probably 10 times at least to finally have it sink in. Like mentioned above, research plan, then research some more. Theres a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Good luck and ask alot of questions.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Started with one tank back in June. Saturday Im gonna fire up tanks 5 and 6. My wife made the mistake of telling me I could do whatever I wanted in our storage room. All my tanks are different styles so I can play around and get my fix. Start with one and you might stick with one. Lots of practice and research. Sometimes more tanks isn't always better. When I have to walk around the house and feed all the fish and fertilize the plants in multiple tanks sometimes I wish I had one again...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am currently at two tanks. One is here with me at my dorm (10gal), while my 29gal is back home. I am still getting into establishing my first planted tank, and so far it is living up to my expectations, with a minor hiccup here and there.

My secret is a whole lot of reading before doing anything. This is a hobby where much time (and money!) can be saved if you know what you want to do and how you want to do it beforehand.

My ultimate goal is to one day have 5 ADA tanks. 2 Mini tanks, one 60P, one 60F, and a 90P or 120P. I think this is realistic, but it will take time, as with everything else. Hopefully over the summer my 10gal will be updated to a 60P. I want a miniM or L before I graduate college. After then, who knows.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Your tank will be what you make of it, no more, no less.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode