Fluval 3.0 update - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval 3.0 update

I upgraded from a junk Light to a fluval 3.0, so far I don't see much plant improvement but it's only been about a week, but I do see that my cryptocoryne parva are turning yellow (don't know if this is transitional thing) Also noticed I'm getting a lot of algae on my lids but I don't notice any in the tank (it could be there I just don't see it), everyone I asked in a fb group said just be patient but I feel that if I don't find the cause and correct it then I will have everything covered in algae before too long.

I know i need more plants as I don't have many (about 18 stems of Ludwigia repens, a bunch of anubias, 8 stems of money wart (which are producing multiple stems) 10 cryptocoryne Wendtii reds, 1 Amazon sword and a Lil patch of parva.

Light intensity is turned down to im estimating 50- 60%, light on time is 7 hours, I dose thrive 1x weekly @ 5ml after a 50% water change, phosphate is 1.1, nitrate is 25, ammonia zero, nitrite 0, pH 7.5, KH 6 gh 6

Any advice would be appreciated

About to order some cryptocoryne balansae, C. Natan some Buce and moss

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

I've had the Fluval 3.0 for a couple weeks and it's been great. My plants are growing like crazy, although my tank is a 22g long so it's only 12" deep. I'm running the light at full intensity for 8-10hrs a day with a ramp up and ramp down, and moonlight (1-2% blue) all night long. I also do co2 injection.

My only issue so far with the Fluval 3.0 is that it needs to be raised higher. I have some stones that block out a large portion of the back of my tank, and I'd like to find/build some risers to lift it up 3-4 inches. Otherwise it's been a great investment.

Side note: I replaced a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 cc with the Fluval because I didn't like the limited programming capabilities with the Finnex. Looking back, I appreciate the Finnex for the risers it has and because I think it puts out a bit more PAR. Still, not going back. I love my Fluval 3.0.

EDIT: The Parva you have will not noticeably grow any faster in the week you've had the new light. Parva can take 12-18 months to do anything - they're extremely slow growing. Best to judge plant growth by the Ludwigia Repens or Moneywort you've got in there. I've got some Octopus in my tank and I have to trim that beast every few days!
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
I've had the Fluval 3.0 for a couple weeks and it's been great. My plants are growing like crazy, although my tank is a 22g long so it's only 12" deep. I'm running the light at full intensity for 8-10hrs a day with a ramp up and ramp down, and moonlight (1-2% blue) all night long. I also do co2 injection.

My only issue so far with the Fluval 3.0 is that it needs to be raised higher. I have some stones that block out a large portion of the back of my tank, and I'd like to find/build some risers to lift it up 3-4 inches. Otherwise it's been a great investment.

Side note: I replaced a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 cc with the Fluval because I didn't like the limited programming capabilities with the Finnex. Looking back, I appreciate the Finnex for the risers it has and because I think it puts out a bit more PAR. Still, not going back. I love my Fluval 3.0.

EDIT: The Parva you have will not noticeably grow any faster in the week you've had the new light. Parva can take 12-18 months to do anything - they're extremely slow growing. Best to judge plant growth by the Ludwigia Repens or Moneywort you've got in there. I've got some Octopus in my tank and I have to trim that beast every few days!
I'm Just noticing there's algae on my glass lids were there wasn't any before , also a friend of mine has the 3.0 and tested it with a li-cor, hers is the 36" model Mines the 48", her model was reading 51 umol at 18" so you're more close to 65-70+ umol @ 12", she could only estimate at the warmer look settings I'm Running with the power turned down im at she estimated 65-70 umol @ 18" as the 48" has more leds than the 36" @ 252 the 48 at 336.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm thinking the limiting factor might be carbon. You've got enough light, probably enough ferts, good gH and a few fast growing stems. The higher PAR might be driving the plants hard enough that CO2 cannot keep up.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
@TimP - I was under the impression the Fluval 3.0 puts out significantly more PAR than the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. I also agree that you may need to increase the CO2, assuming you are using it at all.

Tank Journal -
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
I'm thinking the limiting factor might be carbon. You've got enough light, probably enough ferts, good gH and a few fast growing stems. The higher PAR might be driving the plants hard enough that CO2 cannot keep up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
@TimP - I was under the impression the Fluval 3.0 puts out significantly more PAR than the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. I also agree that you may need to increase the CO2, assuming you are using it at all.
I don't use co2 I simply don't want to use it and don't have the money for it if I did, Is there an alternative fix besides co2?

post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
I don't use co2

Yes I know, hence why I was suggesting carbon is the limiting factor in plant growth with the extra PAR you are supplying with the new light. Ambient CO2 concentrations are not high enough to meet plant photosynthetic potential with the added light.

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes I know, hence why I was suggesting carbon is the limiting factor in plant growth with the extra PAR you are supplying with the new light. Ambient CO2 concentrations are not high enough to meet plant photosynthetic potential with the added light.
Do you think if i increased surface agitation I would be able to achieve more co2 per atmospheric pressure?

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Do you think if i increased surface agitation I would be able to achieve more co2 per atmospheric pressure?

Possibly, but any extra CO2 you may be adding can be just as easily off gassed with extra surface agitation.

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Possibly, but any extra CO2 you may be adding can be just as easily off gassed with extra surface agitation.
Sigh, well I was told I wouldn't need co2 with this new light hense why I bought it lol (insert mad face smiley here), I don't trust co2 abd I honestly don't have the money for it, what would you recommend me doing

post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't use co2 I simply don't want to use it and don't have the money for it if I did, Is there an alternative fix besides co2?

A low light tank.

My tank journal.

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sigh, well I was told I wouldn't need co2 with this new light hense why I bought it lol (insert mad face smiley here), I don't trust co2 abd I honestly don't have the money for it, what would you recommend me doing

You can try excel / metricide.

You can also try a split photo period to allow CO2 levels to build back up. (CO2 builds up during the dark).

Or try both

Your plant selection is good, ludwigia is a fast grower.... I have it in a 90 gallon with a 2.0 and it isn't growing nearly as fast as yours does.

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You can try excel / metricide.

You can also try a split photo period to allow CO2 levels to build back up. (CO2 builds up during the dark).

Or try both

Your plant selection is good, ludwigia is a fast grower.... I have it in a 90 gallon with a 2.0 and it isn't growing nearly as fast as yours does.
I was thinking of adding a lot more plants as that would build way more co2 than what I have currently (during night) like a few cryptocoryne balansae, a few C. Natans, Buce and another bushier plant or is my line of thinking different, and yes my L. Repens I have to trim every other week but it seems they have slowed down a bit with the stronger light.

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
A low light tank.
What do you mean a low light tank, no I'm not in the 100+ par club but I'm about 70

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I was thinking of adding a lot more plants as that would build way more co2 than what I have currently (during night) like a few cryptocoryne balansae, a few C. Natans, Buce and another bushier plant or is my line of thinking different, and yes my L. Repens I have to trim every other week but it seems they have slowed down a bit with the stronger light.

Maybe it is growing the same amount of leaves / nodes, just denser along the length of the stem making it seem like its growing slower? Does the stem between each set of leaves seem smaller?

I doubt the added plants will add any significant amounts of CO2 back into the water. Remember, lower tech tanks will have slower growth.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode