Assistance 55 gal issue - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Assistance 55 gal issue

Hello all,
I am in the need of some assistance, I currently have a 55gal planted aquarium. I have 9 Betta's, 8 Penguin Tetra, 10 Ember Tetra, 10 Harlequin Rasbora, 2 albino loach. I just started using Co2 for some carpet I am trying to do, planted some dwarf grass, and the other plants love the Co2. This morning I lost one of my Penguin Tetra, when I came home from work I found two more. I am not sure what is happening here. I did notice the other night the Penguin Tetra were very aggressive with each other. I was going to remove them the next day but then they were all fine. I did check of my water all is good, I did a 20% water change today. the only thing I can think of is the Co2, I am new with it but have been running it with at least one bubble per sec. Any assistance would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
How are you checking your CO2 levels? Drop checker? pH test?
How many hours are you running your CO2? A lot of us have it come on 1 hour before lights on, and shut off 1 hour before lights off.
Do you have plenty of surface agitation to help with air exchange?

What is your KH?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am very new to the Co2, I got a Fluval Pressurized CO2 Kit Plants & Planted Aquariums Bracket 95g 3.3oz. Since it is not be set up on a timer, I just turn on when I get home from work. So I may come on an hour or two after the lights come on. No drop checker, and PH level is 7.5. So as far as drop checker and other things nags I may need I am open for any suggestions. Any assistance is greatly appreciated....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would need to know what your pH is after CO2 has been on for at least a couple hours, and what your pH is when it's been off overnight and had a chance to off-gas, to be able to tell you if your fish are dying from CO2. It would be good to know your KH value as well, do you have a test kit for that?

Things you need to get - a drop checker and KH test(API drop test kit comes with GH and KH). You can get a rough idea of how much CO2 you're getting by filling two test vials with 5 ml tank water when tank is well saturated with CO2(CO2 has been on for a few hours). You'll immediately use one of the two vials, doing your pH test on it. The other one, you'll just let the water sit out for 24 hours and THEN perform the pH test. You want approximately a 1 degree difference in pH from saturation to off-gas. So let's say your saturated sample tests at 6.5 pH, then you'll want the off-gassed to be 7.5 pH. If you're using test strips, then fill a clean cup with tank water and let it sit out for 24 hours before doing the test. Without knowing your KH though, this is just a rough guesstimate.

If your CO2 regulator has a solenoid, pick yourself up a timer as well. Consistency with CO2 is a major factor, you want it coming on and going off at the same time everyday.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have, feel free to ask. Just quote me, or tag me in your posts by using @mgeorges
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It would not be my first guess to say the CO2 is at fault but there are ways to decide on this. One is knowing how the fish act before death. CO2 does not kill directly but does keep the fish from getting the O2 needed. So that does make them behave very different when not getting the O2, much the same as a human might. Watch for fish gasping at the surface and then slowing and acting "drunk" and eventually settle to the bottom? That will be likely to be too much CO2.
Some test equipment and monitoring will be important for long term but some educated guessing will do for now?
CO2 will not be likely to only kill one fish and not leave a number of others acting really weird/gasping. Think of human action when in the same. Some will be worse off but most will be bothered.
Aggression can lead to disease long term or kill quickly. Some aggression is normal in a new setup as they have to sort out who goes where. But if there is a little pecking/chasing but not outright killing and the fish have not had time for long term stress, look to other causes. A fish that is beginning to suffer enough stress to die will show signs like hiding, hanging out behind something or otherwise look like a kid being bullied.
Unfortunately, new fish folks do tend to lose fish to unknown items. Having a few kits on hand to know what the tank is doing is one way to sort out what is most likely to be the cause. The problem with letting LFS test is that they are really bad at it, in many cases. I have run out of supplies and taken samples to LFS to test where it was obvious that they had no idea how to test and they told me it was all okay!
Best of luck to you and do know that it is somewhat normal to have a few problem!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
CO2 will not be likely to only kill one fish
yep and 1 bubble per second in a 55 is probably not going to gas anyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In need of help, I turned off my Co2 when I lost fish yesterday, I also done a water change 20%. today I lost 2 fish, I need some assistance on what my next move should be. I checked water conditions everything is fine...please help...

@mgeorges
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Any info on how the fish are acting and how they die will be helpful as all we really know at this time is that they are dying. We will need more definite info like test results or something to begin to pin it down as there are actually tons of ways for fish to die. At this time all we can know is that there is a mystery. You have not mentioned things as simple as what type water and how it may be treated, so we might be missing something as simple as using chlorinated water.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my sad update to my issue, I am still losing fish. so I decided to start over with my tank, was starting to see brown algae. I started cleaning it off the plants trying to get ahead of it. but my other half decided we were stating over. Already took out decor and plants, started cleaning decor and wiping plants down. We took out the last of the betas and other misc school fish and put them in a holding tank for now. this weekend will empty tank clean and let sit for a few days hopefully to kill what ever bacteria is left over. any suggestions on how I will go about with this task of cleaning and starting over.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode