Finnex 24/7 mode - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello,
I’ve just recently started a 55 gallon tank a decent amount of plants, some of which require a good bit of light (for example i’m trying to establish a dwarf hair grass carpet)

does anyone know if the default 24 hour mode is any good for growing plants?

I have eco-complete substrate and I dose flourish and excel.

no Co2 and only one betta fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgenisP View Post
does anyone know if the default 24 hour mode is any good for growing plants?

not particularly for high demand plants w/ the 1st edition one..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i’m assuming I have the latest edition? it’s called 24/7 cc, I just purchase it a couple weeks ago.

Would you recommend to just put it from, let’s say 9 am-6 pm on max setting and then go completely dark?

I think my most demanding plants are a red tiger lotus and dwarf hair grass which Im trying to get to carpet.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

The finnex is an okay light for the dwarf hairgrass. You would need to run around 9 hours a day on max light though while injected pressurized CO2. Not 24/7 mode. The issue is that the light strip itself is not very wide. I was able to grow dwarf HG with the finnex but it grew very slow, and areas not directly under the LED did not fill in well. 55 gallon long, at 13” wide I’d still consider using two 24/7 lights or just upgrading to a wider light. Also, if you do use one finnex light, I’d use a little bit more substrate to get the dwarf HG closer to the water surface if the tank is 21” deep.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i’m using 4 bags of eco complete which give me an average depth of about 3” throughout.

I figured I will probably need to inject Co2, do you know any brands that are good for a first time user? I also need to pick up some macro ferts.

tomorrow I’ll try to do a “custom” 24/7 setting and set it to about 8:30 of max light and 1:30 of moonlight, the rest will be complete darkness. If that doesn’t work I’ll just put the light on a separate timer and just set it on max settings (this is how I was running it but I think it’s a shame that all of the fixture’s functionality are wasted). Ill see about getting another light but they aren’t exactly cheap lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Btw I only planted DHG on the front half of the tank
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:51 AM
Algae Grower

I'd stick with the one 24/7 then and see how it goes. Maybe favor the light a tad towards the front side of the tank if you aren't observing very good growth with HG and see if it helps. Other than that, the finnex should be able to grow most plants without any issues assuming CO2 and nutrient levels (Macros and micros) are in check.

HG does well with CO2. Bigger name brands like GLA, CO2Art, and Aquatek are all good starting points for regs. I am sure you can find people on this forum whom can also make good quality regulators for a cheaper price than the big name vendors. Just remember, everyone has their own good and bad experiences with regs. Just because one person didn't have a great experience with it, don't count it out. Do your research. For a 55 gallon I would look into getting a 5 to 10lb CO2 tank to minimize refills.

In my opinion, I'd start looking into dosing dry ferts. GLA has a great E.I. fert kit. Saves money in the long run compared to liquid ferts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've had the 48" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 on my 60g for two+ years now and really, really like it! Dawn to dusk....moonlight is way cool! I have it on a timer from 6am till midnight. I toyed around for awhile with taking it in and out of 24/7 mode for more midday light, but I've had it in 24/7 mode all the time for quite some time now.
My tank is low tech, but the plants grow just fine...even with floating Water Sprite (which shades lower regions in my 24" deep tank). I would imagine that dwarf hairgrass would be a challenge as would any true carpet plant that tends to grow in shallow water.
I thought with the CC model, that you could program a longer bright period and still use 24/7 mode???

The Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CC LED Fixture offers users what they’ve been calling for - color and intensity control. Using the Planted+ 24/7 CC Series allows users to save various color combinations in multiple intensities throughout the 24/7 program. Set it once, and watch the fixture go through your custom daily sunrise to sunset - All hands free.

So 'you can have your cake and eat it too!'

In any case, I'd play around with it before considering buying another light!

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower

HG will demand that finnex’s max light 8-9 hours a day from my experiences. I wouldn’t run 24/7 mode if I was doing max light already for that duration. You may be asking for algae. Injected CO2 will be needed at that light intensity and for carpeting. I agree, if money is tight then start with the one light you have and make the necessary upgrades as needed down the road.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGHTECH22 View Post
HG will demand that finnex’s max light 8-9 hours a day from my experiences. I wouldn’t run 24/7 mode if I was doing max light already for that duration. You may be asking for algae. Injected CO2 will be needed at that light intensity and for carpeting. I agree, if money is tight then start with the one light you have and make the necessary upgrades as needed down the road.

I dunno, I could make a case for 24/7, on at 6a (sunrise), with high white from 10a-5/6p, then sunset/moon, off at midnight. The low intensities of sunrise/sunset shouldn't encourage algae AND the feature is surreal making the environment that much more natural while providing viewing light throughout the day and evening hours.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:25 AM

The finnex 24/7 is a good light, but by no means is it a high tech light..I've found using an adjustable light that has more than enough power works best. U can start at a lower level and see how ur plants do. And slowly make adjustments. I have a 24/7 fixture and used it for 3 monthes. No the plants didn't die, but the coverage was minimal and u could tell they needed more..
Tank spec:
40 gallon breeder
pressurized co2 (inline reactor)
Flourite as base, Thrive root tabs, ADA as top layer
Strict macro, micro dosing regimen
50% water change weekly.
Filtration-custom sump
New lights- 2 120w full spectrum LEDs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode