rant: need to prioritize and make good decisions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
rant: need to prioritize and make good decisions

Hello everybody,
This is just a rant, nothing more. just want to get it out my chest, now that I am ready to talk about it. I had a bad experience that happened to me about 3 weeks ago and I just now got over it. This winter had been cold. Right before winter, I ordered some plants thinking that the weather may not be too cold for my tank and fish. So, I would be able to save up in time for a good heater. the blyxa did not do too well and melted to almost nothing. I was mad and figured that my tank might not have enough ferts.... Went and ordered some dry ferts with the money that was supposed to use for a heater, thinking that my old heater(for a 20 gallon) will work ok for my 29 gallon temporarily. That decision was so wrong, not because of the ferts not being good, but for the lack of prioritization of how I used my $$. Anyways, I had to go out of town right before christmas and returned home right before new years. I kept my apt temperature to about 55 degrees F, heater on. Got back home right before new years and found out that all 16 of my neons that I have had for months are dead, only survivors are 2 ottos. Fished the dead bodies out and the water was really cold. Checked the heater and it is no longer working(did not even turn on)....grrr.... I think what happened was I overdriven my heater that was supposed to be for a 20g and over the holidays, it crapped out on me. To make things worse, I made the decision to turn down the heater to 55 degree instead of the normal 65 degree. I was mad, but very upset with myself. I have no one to blame but myself for the series of bad decision making..... Ever since then, I bough an eheim rated for a 30gal. Lesson learned after loosing all by beloved neons and the blyxa(only one small stem 1/2 inch long with 3 leaves is holding on to its life)........ I hope that by posting this, no one else will repeat the same mistake as I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
plzzz... i am pretty sure many ppl hve gone thrgh this kind of thing.. might not be exact but close... But if you think about it... its kind of good... well in my eye becuse you get to starte over and explore more into the tanks now... and new livestocks maybe hardier fishes... ETC
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck... I usually run oversized heaters in my tanks... but on the flip side of that... if the heater goes haywire, I'm getting fish soup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My tank journals
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
We all have made mistakes,one thing I learned when I started a reef tank was you cannot rush things.I am now starting a planted tank,I read alot of post here and trying to learn to do things right.It's hard sitting here looking at a empty tank for 4 weeks.Just don't give up. good luck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
thanks for the encouragements. I have learned my lesson. Will be more careful next time in decision making.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by non_compliance View Post
Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck... I usually run oversized heaters in my tanks... but on the flip side of that... if the heater goes haywire, I'm getting fish soup.
I ran oversized on my 29g and cooked half of my fish when it failed (thanks MarineLand!). I could actually smell fish in my basement. It was nasty.

I now run a "just right" amount of heating on my 56 gallon, using two quality 100w heaters (inline hydor and intake Rena SmartHeater).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode