260 gallon build - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi guys,
My name is James and I live in Australia.

I recently purchased a custom built 82Lx24Wx31H glass starphire aquarium brand new from an aquarium store in Melbourne.

The tank was one of five that was supposed to be installed in a large building but the builder sent the wrong measurements so the tanks wouldn’t fit into the wall cavity. I picked it up for $600aus.

Anyway, I plan on creating a heavily planted open top aquascape for this project. Rather than have larger fish in a tank this size I want to make use of the space and have schools of small fish like cardinal tetras, Rummynose tetras, cory Cats/cherry shrimp etc. it’s important for the tank to look natural and to mimic nature and to become its own balanced ecosystem.

The next step I to the build will be construction of the hardwood stand, I plan on making it 1 metre tall so the tank will sit 1.8m tall once on the stand, I also want plenty of space underneath for cO2, filtration etc.

Here is my list of equipment I plan on using, you guys are the experts so any changes you would make or any advice would be greatly appreciated, nothing is set in stone as of yet.

I plan on running 2x Fluval FX6 canisters.
4x Kessil 360WE tuna sun with rigid tank mounts
1x6.8kg cO2 cylinder with pre-made Rex grigg reactor from Nilocg aquatics.
I haven’t decided on heating as of yet because of the possible complications arising from the Fluval tubing.
I will run a wavemaker if recomended,
I would also like to run glass intake/outtake if there is a way to do so with the 1’ tubing.

This is all I’ve settled on so far, I will upload a few snaps of the tank also.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
James.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1392B841-0C1C-4974-B3EF-E79DAF3FC6E0_1526507386742.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	855146  

Name:	103B4CA7-FAB3-413D-AAAC-C2DAE4631642_1526507407299.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	855154  

Greggz, Greggz, theDCpump and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Fish-jitsu; 05-17-2018 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Welcome James!

You forgot to add a ladder to your list.
Oh, and scuba gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:50 AM
Algae Grower

Congrats on the tank. I will be following the progress. I see you are also a fellow Festoolian. Nice CT... Wheres the rest? I can't wait to see the stand.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Why Kessil?
What is the PAR for the Kessil at say 36"?
Arguably better lights..
Sorry, feeling opinionated tonight..
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/radio...SAAEgJP0PD_BwE

https://youtu.be/AEV6mM5xeF0
staticicarus likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-20-2018 at 06:59 AM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
260G got my attention.

That looks like a very nice tank.

Loads of possibilities there, and has the makings to be something special.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Subscribed! Looking forward to hearing more on your journey!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

|

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 11:34 PM
Algae Grower

This looks like it is going to be an awesome tank, wish I would stumble onto something like that here in Texas.

Just wanted to add my opinion, since I have very recent experience with using a reactor from Nilocg aquatics and a Fluval Fx6. Let me be clear, this is NOT a knock on Nilocg, they sent me a beautiful reactor that does exactly what is advertised. I simply made some miscalculations.

First, unless you're swapping out the ribbed Fluval tubing for vinyl, you'll have a heck of a time getting it to fit on the 1" ports. I ended up having to boil the ends and then place hose clamps, so at least I know I won't have any leaks.
Second, if running with the FX6, the 2' reactor isn't long enough to fully dissolve all of the CO2 you would need for a tank that size. The push from the filter is just too strong and the number/ size of the bubbles too high. I've added a spray bar and my own homemade inline bubble agitator, and I still get a few bubbles in the tank. Perhaps ask the folks running Nilocg if they can make you the longest reactor they offer and put the bio-balls in for an agitator. Otherwise, you may consider building your own.

I'm running all this on a 150g tank, along with 3 Tuna Suns of my own. This project appears to have a lot of promise and some similarity with my own, so I'll be following closely!

Sub-Mariner
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:08 AM
Planted Member

Damn that's pretty tank. I'm jealous.

Live to plant!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:55 AM
Algae Grower

I think lighting at that depth with be the most of your $. Unless you go low light or pound the light with cash it'll be an experience that'll make you frustrated.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Can't wait to see more of it, James. Wow, 260G for 600AUS, tanks get expensive!

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoGuy View Post
Congrats on the tank. I will be following the progress. I see you are also a fellow Festoolian. Nice CT... Wheres the rest? I can't wait to see the stand.
Thanks mate! I use the vacuum as a utility for my concrete grinding business, best vac I’ve ever bought!

Stand is built just waiting on hinges and doors, I’ll stain it today too.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sorry mate, I don’t know the PAR rating of the Kessil’s I just sent the details of my tank to multiple aquarium lighting companies and these lights were recommended by the majority.

I’m definitely open to other suggestions so you think the Radeon’s will be powerful enough at 30”?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Mariner View Post
This looks like it is going to be an awesome tank, wish I would stumble onto something like that here in Texas.

Just wanted to add my opinion, since I have very recent experience with using a reactor from Nilocg aquatics and a Fluval Fx6. Let me be clear, this is NOT a knock on Nilocg, they sent me a beautiful reactor that does exactly what is advertised. I simply made some miscalculations.

First, unless you're swapping out the ribbed Fluval tubing for vinyl, you'll have a heck of a time getting it to fit on the 1" ports. I ended up having to boil the ends and then place hose clamps, so at least I know I won't have any leaks.
Second, if running with the FX6, the 2' reactor isn't long enough to fully dissolve all of the CO2 you would need for a tank that size. The push from the filter is just too strong and the number/ size of the bubbles too high. I've added a spray bar and my own homemade inline bubble agitator, and I still get a few bubbles in the tank. Perhaps ask the folks running Nilocg if they can make you the longest reactor they offer and put the bio-balls in for an agitator. Otherwise, you may consider building your own.

I'm running all this on a 150g tank, along with 3 Tuna Suns of my own. This project appears to have a lot of promise and some similarity with my own, so I'll be following closely!

Sub-Mariner
Thanks for the tip, hmm very frustrating. The ribbed hosing is a pain. I wish it was as easy as swapping it out for a different tubing. I’ll hunt around and see what I can find.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbuds View Post
I think lighting at that depth with be the most of your $. Unless you go low light or pound the light with cash it'll be an experience that'll make you frustrated.
Yes, I fully expect to spend around $2,000 for lighting this tank. I plan to grow a carpet on the substrate so I’ll need something to hit the bottom.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a shot of the unfinished cabinet, made from plywood in seperate compartments for extra strength, this stand is double braced and has a full sheet of ply along the back. I’ll be staining it And applying a water proof polyurethane for protection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14632621-9557-4FDD-A816-22F757C96882_1528670486048.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	860713  

RenoGuy and RenoGuy like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode