Ich - Heat & Salt Treatment - Very Active RCS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ich - Heat & Salt Treatment - Very Active RCS

So three weeks ago I added 15 RCS to my 25G planted aquarium. Shortly after I noticed ich on my Silver Hatchets and immediately turned to Google for shrimp/plant safe treatments. I wanted to avoid chemicals and ultimatley decided on heat treatment and salt (if heat alone didn't solve).

I first started by raising the temps to 85F and performing small water changes every other day. The ich soon dropped off and I left temps up and kept changing water. Last week I noticed another hatchet with a couple new spots of ich so I decided it was time to introduce the salt into the tank. I currently have one teaspoon of dissolved table salt (read this was fine from multiple sites) per 10 gallons. Which from what I read is relatively low and should be safe for shrimp and plants.

I slowly acclimated over two days to be extra safe. I am on day three with these salt levels and the visible ich has again dissipated but my RCS are now extremely active? I would normally see four or five of the full grown shrimp out at all times but now all 15 or so of them are out and about and constantly moving around to different plants and areas of the tank. As far as I can tell they don't look unhealthy but I wanted to see if anyone with more experience could tell me if this is a bad sign? I want to keep up with treatment for at least another week to make sure ich is cured but don't want to kill off my shrimp either.

I have the following stock with no deaths caused by ich to this point:

6 - Harlequin Rosaboras (No visible ich or signs of stress)
4 - Spotted Corydoras (No visible ich or signs of stress)
4 - Silver Hatchets (The ich seems to like these guys)
15 - Red Cherry Shrimp (No visible signs of ich; no change in behavior with raised temps; extremely active after addition of salt)

Just to note, none of the plants seem to be negatively effected either. If anything the Jungle Val has grown even longer.

Any advice from previous experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry! *slaps head*

I have moved this thread to a more appropriate area of the forum.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ry-active.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode