3Likes
  • 2 Post By mgeorges
  • 4 Post By mgeorges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Struggling with planted tanks

Thank you im an old betta breeder from south Africa but am new to planted tanks and co2 etc with my bettas I have badically never tested water or things like that as it just sets you up for disappointment I breed successfully the question I have is " I have 2, 2 foot tanks standing next to each other with same gravel same water same lighting both tanks have shrimp in both tanks have the same age piece of drift wood in everything is identical but in the 1 tank plants grow like crazy have to trim and thin out plants weekly the other tank the plants are barely living took like 3 months before the grass got to the top of the water level why is this, so I introduced pressurized co2 a diy setup I built from a soda stream co2 bottle air line and an airstone and use a plastic g clamp to regulate the co2 the other part of my question is even before co2 the light stays on 24/7 on the tanks bith tanks build algea but the tank with the good plant griwth has more green algae build up on the glass so the question is can I run the light 24/7 still and compensate photosynthesis with the co2 will I see a difference in growth in the poorly performing tank ps, since I put in the co2 I noticed I got little white things zooming around in the tank but it is not baby shrimp and I also noticed theres little milky white worms on the glass near the top of the tank, to promote healthy growing could I take say 1 third of water from the healthy growing tank and put it in the other tank would that help at all pss, before I started with the co2 both tanks had no heater no air and no powerhead for water movement since I added the co2 I put in a small powerhead to circulate the water as my shrimp suffered a bit with the sudden co2 please help im really confused as to why the 1 tank is growing so well and the other is barely hanging in there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly - you're running your light 24/7...? If you are, that's not only bad for your plants, it's also VERY unhealthy for your livestock to have zero dark time.

It's very important to remember - no two tanks are the same. Even when everything seems to be identical, there will be variance. Adding water from one tank into the other just sets you up for cross contamination, as it sounds like you have some parasites showing up in one of your tanks. Milky white worms could be many things - detritus worms, planaria, rhabdocoela, etc., and the things zooming around could be something like copepods. While copepods are harmless and a good food source for small shrimp, planaria can bring havoc upon a shrimp tank.

I don't mean to sound rude, but it sounds like the tank that was doing well is thriving in spite of what you're doing. Testing and knowing parameters when you're having an issue is very important, and it's important for us to be able to even begin to try to help. Water movement for air exchange is very important as well - lack of air exchange can lead to problems like excess CO2 buildup, cyanobacteria, etc.. I'm also concerned about your CO2 setup. A plastic clamp to regulate gas output is very rudimentary and certainly not a good long term solution. There's zero ability to fine tune, I'm honestly surprised your shrimp are alive. I would suggest you stop injecting CO2 until you have a way to properly regulate it.

Information that will help us - dGH, dKH, pH, nutrient levels; what ferts, if any, you're dosing; ammonia and nitrite shouldn't be present since shrimp are alive, but knowing your nitrate level could help. Pictures would be helpful as well.
jmontee and jmontee like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mgeorges yes my lights for the planted tanks are on 24/7 the 1 tank is thriving doing really fantastic with lots of different plants the christmas mos is also doing really good have to thin it out at least once a week otherwise it would over run the tank in that tank I have no air pump or powerhead but I do frequent water changes when.I have to clean the green algae off the glass I will have to go buy test kits as I have never tested water before I will have both tanks water tested tomorrow at the lfs and let u know the shrimp as well seem to be doing really well in the thriving plant tank I have never added any nutrients and have no fertilizer in just ordinary stone gravel one a week I put in a sponge filter for about a day and night then take it out as the shrimp act kinda crazy when I put it in ill stop the co2 as u suggest till I can buy a regulator and diffuser

Trying to send pics now but it keeps hanging by the select picture menu

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-17-2018 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
While you're working on getting pics and parameters, I want to talk about circadian rhythm. It is essentially the cycle that organisms operate by in any given 24 hours. For humans, our cycle is usually dictated by the sun - Sun comes up, we wake up, do our daily thing; Sun goes down, we go to bed. But what if the Sun (being the light in your tank for this example) never goes down... or never comes up? Our circadian rhythm would start to breakdown. This has very negative impacts not just in humans, but almost all living organisms, plants and shrimp included.

Your plants want rest and so do your livestock. It's vital that you give it to them. I don't believe you will find a single person here or with significant experience that will tell you a 24/7 light cycle is ok. 12 hours a day would be fine, you could even go a little longer if the tank allowed it, but anything over around 6-8 hours per day is for you, not the plants/ livestock. You really need to give your tank a good nights rest every night.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode