New planed tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New planed tank

Hello,

I’m looking for some easy to grow stem plants for my 46 bowfront. I also need help on picking a light that will grow most lights. I was planning on using a brooder lamp with a cfl bulb but it’ll just make the whole tank ugly. Does any one know of a cheap 36” light that’ll grow plants, under $25 preferably. As for plants, I’m looking for plants that will grow in eco complete, that are tall and will stand out, make the tank look natural. I have bacopa monneri, wisteria, dwarf water lily bulbs, pennywort(slow grower IME), Dwarf sag, italian val. and anacharis narrow growing in my 20 gal grow out tank. I still need to add the plants and aquascape. Is it possible to purchase aquascaping supplies for cheap on here? ie stone, driftwood and plants if possible. I live in california. If possible PM me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-Aqu...0SQA2Q9K63YZFZ

For the light.

Ludwigia repens, Rotala rotundifolia, Helanthium spp., Myriophyllum spp., Bolbitus spp,. Java fern, Anubias, Sagitteria spp. are a few plant ideas.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Better place to advert on the forum for things is the wanted section as that is where sellers are more likely to be. Lights are another of those things which get very personal, so the choice is really varied.
But for doing the value shopping tank, some DIY is often the best way to avoid paying too much. LED can be great but they are still pretty new and still going through lots of the growing pains of new things. Things like no guarantee and low quality which fails way too quick?
So when money is short, we have to compromise, at times.
When you say the CFL makes the tank look bad, are you speaking of the lighting results on the plants, general color or the appearance of the fixture itself? All can be changed on those points---with some thought and maybe a bit of DIY work. The CFL is older tech and many are moving on but the are also a proven tech which costs very little to get and very little to adjust as they are super simple to change out bulbs versus the need to buy a whole new fixture when LED fail.
So maybe the better move might be to look for ways to improve the CFL idea? I have hundreds of dollars in lighting but still use CFL in a number of places.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Better place to advert on the forum for things is the wanted section as that is where sellers are more likely to be. Lights are another of those things which get very personal, so the choice is really varied.
But for doing the value shopping tank, some DIY is often the best way to avoid paying too much. LED can be great but they are still pretty new and still going through lots of the growing pains of new things. Things like no guarantee and low quality which fails way too quick?
So when money is short, we have to compromise, at times.
When you say the CFL makes the tank look bad, are you speaking of the lighting results on the plants, general color or the appearance of the fixture itself? All can be changed on those points---with some thought and maybe a bit of DIY work. The CFL is older tech and many are moving on but the are also a proven tech which costs very little to get and very little to adjust as they are super simple to change out bulbs versus the need to buy a whole new fixture when LED fail.
So maybe the better move might be to look for ways to improve the CFL idea? I have hundreds of dollars in lighting but still use CFL in a number of places.
Oh okay, I will post there right now. I have already spent enough money on my other tanks so I was looking for a cheaper way. I have college to pay for and bills to pay but I read about CFL bulbs. The 6500k, daylight, 26 watt bulbs. They don’t look that good in appearance. Since this tank will be going in my living room, I want it to look better than the tanks I have in my room.
The bulbs work good on my other tanks for the plants. I’ve looked into many DIY fixture but they don’t really appeal to me. Any ideas?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like DIY so do a lot of it as I also like cheap!!
One of the best ways to make cheap lighting look good is to hide it under a canopy. But then if one is more inclined to have seperate lighting without a canopy, the standard "brooder" light doesn't have to look so cheap. Some classy looking lights can be made using electrical conduit to hang out over the tank and simple bulb holders hanging down can be improved by adding a variety of shades. Any friends in the art world who would like to throw a nice shaped pot for a cover or make one out of some of the art? Perhaps a look at the thrift shops for floor lamps to repurpose? There are several that can hold several bulbs on flexible arms to position the lights.
I'm not an art type so I better let you do the thinking on what might fit what you like!! Just several ways to "cheat" on the finances. The plants don't care who holds the bulb.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode