What to buy...What to buy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What to buy...What to buy

Well i have a new derimmed 5.5 gallon sitting around the house and im planning on doing an iwagumi scape, and probably like 2-3 ottos and maybe a few RCS, but im not sure what kind of fish i want to put in yet. If any of you knew me at all then you would know that i love schooling fish, so any suggestions on schooling fish that would do good in this is appreciated.

Now on to my real question. What fertz would i need to make this a healthy high light tank (at the highest 4.7wpg, 26 watt bulb porbably about 5 or 6 inches above the tank, im using the hampton clip on desk lamp). Are the only things i need co2 and flourish comprehensive supplement?

Im not sure what substrate im using yet but i have some extra seachem flourite laying around the house. Thinking about MTS under maybe 1" of sand not sure about the sand though.

What would you do in my situation?

Oh yea and im using a hagen mini for co2 diffusion and filtration if it matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
ember tetras stay pretty small so you could get a small school of them, maybe some pygmy corys

i recommend kno3, kh2po4 and csm+b for ferts. they are much cheaper when they are dry and in a tank that size it will last you FOREVER and EVER to INFINITY and BEYOND. no seriously though it'll last you a long time
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hmm, but in a smaller tank dry ferts would be harder to dose I would think...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
ember tetras stay pretty small so you could get a small school of them, maybe some pygmy corys

i recommend kno3, kh2po4 and csm+b for ferts. they are much cheaper when they are dry and in a tank that size it will last you FOREVER and EVER to INFINITY and BEYOND. no seriously though it'll last you a long time
Where can i find these fertz?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceGrover View Post
Hmm, but in a smaller tank dry ferts would be harder to dose I would think...
nope. not hard at all.

follow these instructions
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...ss-techy-folks

you can buy these super duper dosing spoons
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/124560-fs-fert-dosing-spoons.html

and you can buy them here
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2

there are also other places that you can buy them like for instance green leaf aquariums. they are a sponsor here. http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...ertilizer.html
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What if i cut the light back to only 20 watts, which if my math is correct is somewhere around 3.6 wpg? Would i need fertz for this, im going to be using co2 for sure, but would something like flourish tabs or flourish comprehensive keep my plants healthy? Im planning on having in my iwagumi scape a carpet of either glosso or dwarf hair grass, and a background plant of either microsword or something else im not sure of. Would these plants grow well in these conditions?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

the amount of co2 that your tank needs is dictated by how much light you have. the amount of ferts you need is dictated by how much co2 you use.

basicly, light makes the plants start to synthesize. but the plant cant synthesize without co2. when there is co2 the plants drives growth and then need ferts.

you add light and co2 you need ferts and no, root tabs wont cut it for the plants you suggested. and flourish comprehensive was designed to be used in addition with nitrate, phosphate and potassium.

sounds good. i love tanks set up like that. what are you going to do for a hardscape? you should keep a journal with pictures to show everyone what you're up to, get some suggestions and its always pretty cool to look back at your old pictures and watch the progression of the tank.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Dwarf rasporas like Boraras brigittae would be another great option for schooling fish. I love mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
the amount of co2 that your tank needs is dictated by how much light you have. the amount of ferts you need is dictated by how much co2 you use.

basicly, light makes the plants start to synthesize. but the plant cant synthesize without co2. when there is co2 the plants drives growth and then need ferts.

you add light and co2 you need ferts and no, root tabs wont cut it for the plants you suggested. and flourish comprehensive was designed to be used in addition with nitrate, phosphate and potassium.

sounds good. i love tanks set up like that. what are you going to do for a hardscape? you should keep a journal with pictures to show everyone what you're up to, get some suggestions and its always pretty cool to look back at your old pictures and watch the progression of the tank.
The thing is, i have dwarf hair grass and glosso growing very healthy in a 10 gallon with only co2, and seachem flourite substrate. The dwarf hair grass is filling very nicely, im thinking about taking out the glosso. They are at 2.6wpg and are growing very nicely. So i understand what your saying but somehow i have just been very lucky with my 10 gallon, somehow all of my plants are healthy with no fertz, my rasboras were spawning not to long ago, and last night my cherry barbs had some fun lol, and both of those species are on the list that are said to be difficult to breed lol.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

microrasbora, pseudomugil gertrudae or CPD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode