Is this a vastly male dominated hobby? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is this a vastly male dominated hobby?

I've been a part of this forum and a couple of other ones for awhile now. I've been in the hobby for about 30 years. For some reason it just dawned on me that this is a male dominated hobby. My question is why. I mean if you really look at what it is you would think that it would be much more towards the typical stereotype of what a female would enjoy. The essence of this hobby is gardening (aquascaping). When I think of gardening I'm always reminded of a grandmother tending to her tomatoes and beans. Or the woman that is proud of her champion roses.
Is it the controll aspect of this hobby that attracts so many men? Or is it the technical? Why is it that most married men get the major eye roll everytime they want to show their wife the new filter they bought.....or the new German bulbs they just put in?

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I'm not sure what going on, I too did kinda notice that there seems to be more males in this hobby... or at least spot lighted on. If there is more females, maybe they aren't being recognized, or we are hiding in our secret dungeons obsessing over our tanks so much we refuse to come out to the light.

I'm female.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am a female in the hobby. I have been enjoying the hobby emensly for a few months now. I think that you have a fifty fifty chance of liking the hobby or not and it may or not may be a gender prone hobby. but either way its a fun, relatively safe hobby.

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
For whatever reason the Vivarium, Terrarium, Aquarium, Reef, etc. hobbies seem to always be male dominated...
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Or maybe it just "appears" that way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm really curious as to what the demographics are for this hobby as a whole.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
We had a poll going a few years back. Unfortunately the thread commentary took a sexist turn so the thread ended up closed. You could probably search it up.

From what I remember, there were more males than females on the forum at that time.

On the other hand, most of the planted tank hobbyists I know in person are female.

So IDK either way?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
That's a good question. Any ladies out there, please don't take this the wrong way because I know not all of you are like this, but most females I know have no motivation to do anything like a hobby. Their lives consist of facebook gossip and hanging out with friends. While most guys I know have some kind hobby they regularly work on, even if their hobby periodically changes. Now I also know some people who are the opposite of both, but I see the majority that I know living that way. Not sure why that is, but I think there is just something that drives guys to tinker with stuff. Whether it's cars, computers, fish tanks, or whatever they are interested in. Maybe guys are all subconsciously unsuccessfully searching for something to fill a primitive void lost in modern day society, and women are just more evolved and social so they don't have this issue.

Kind of babbling in a weird direction here, so I guess my short answer would be that it's not just this hobby being male dominated, but hobbies in general are male dominated. Mans hobby is to have a hobby (if that makes any sense). I'm trying to think of hobbies that are female dominated, but not much really comes to mind. I don't even think that gardening really is. Wait, is washing dishes considered a hobby? Just Kidding Ladies
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynth View Post
Or maybe it just "appears" that way?
LOL! At least one member has already commented that he was surprised to find out I was a woman. My local aquatic plant group has a meeting next weekend and from what I can tell, it's almost all guys too.

post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
As for my country (maybe US is another business) guys with fish, fishing and dogs...ladies with cats
In my LFS i see a lady for 10 guys interested in fish
But..but at work all the female coworkers really like the aquarium stuff anf many do START new tanks in a short time
I will bet on a 50% 50% female to male ratio in this hobby in the near future
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
One thing is for sure and that is that forums are not representative of the true demographic of the hobby as a whole. Whether or not there are more males in the hobby than females, and I think there probably are, I wouldn't necessarily call it male dominated.

post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Female in the hobby and proud...let's stand and unite! lol

40g SW Reef, 3.7g SW Reef, 20g planted RCS
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Hey Loop, I'm from the old style traditional family unit and Dad worked leaving Mom to take care of the house, kids, food, shopping, doctors visits, all related house stuff so Mom didn't have time for hobbies. Dad built room additions, fished, hunted, bowled and played cards. My brothers and I did the same thing. To remain in a happy marriage that situation has changed in my house. I take the boy to soccer practice and do a thing or two around the house. My wife and I both work, she hunts (I quit when I started needing glasses) we kinda split activities so nobody ends up overloaded but she wouldn't keep up with the aquariums if I paid her. LOL

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop View Post
Any ladies out there, please don't take this the wrong way because I know not all of you are like this, but most females I know have no motivation to do anything like a hobby . . . While most guys I know have some kind hobby they regularly work on, even if their hobby periodically changes.
For a lot of women I know, their "hobby" is their kids (often reading is a close second, which often isn't recognized as a hobby). And statistically speaking, women simply do far more of the grunt work (house work, cooking, kid stuff) than their husbands do. Hence hubby is more likely to have/make time for a hobby.

All of my close friends and I are "child free", leaving plenty of time, energy, and money for hobbies (which we have in abundance, LOL!).

post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop View Post
That's a good question. Any ladies out there, please don't take this the wrong way because I know not all of you are like this, but most females I know have no motivation to do anything like a hobby. Their lives consist of facebook gossip and hanging out with friends. While most guys I know have some kind hobby they regularly work on, even if their hobby periodically changes. Now I also know some people who are the opposite of both, but I see the majority that I know living that way. Not sure why that is, but I think there is just something that drives guys to tinker with stuff. Whether it's cars, computers, fish tanks, or whatever they are interested in. Maybe guys are all subconsciously unsuccessfully searching for something to fill a primitive void lost in modern day society, and women are just more evolved and social so they don't have this issue.

Kind of babbling in a weird direction here, so I guess my short answer would be that it's not just this hobby being male dominated, but hobbies in general are male dominated. Mans hobby is to have a hobby (if that makes any sense). I'm trying to think of hobbies that are female dominated, but not much really comes to mind. I don't even think that gardening really is. Wait, is washing dishes considered a hobby? Just Kidding Ladies
I don't know... I guess I'm not very feminine hahaha. I have never been into make-up, or shopping. In fact, if it is shopping I really hate it unless it is shopping for something in my "hobbies". I have NEVER hung out with other people besides at school, my parents do not allow hanging out or sleep overs. In fact, I no longer have school friends, now I only have the internet people, or real life people that I meet online. I'm not sociable at all in real life, only on the interwebs I talk too much.

I love playing video games, computer games, internet stuff, going on forums, aquariums, fishing, photography, making stuff out of dirt or mud, yea, not so typical girl stuff I guess. When I did have school friends I tried to convince them to do more computer stuff, but it just wasn't for them.... they preferred the stereotypical girl stuff.

I REALLY hate to clean for sure, so no dish washing hobby for me lol :P

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode