What do you do when you cant have a tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
What do you do when you cant have a tank?

I took down my 29 last may, and can't get a new one started until july... what do you do to get your fix.

I'm gonna try to keep coming here to get my "pretty pics" fix, but is there anything else one can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Planted fishbowl?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had a hard time after I had to take down my old reef tank. It was in what is now the baby room. I was going nuts untill I went to my daughters k-garten class and found a mistreated 20 gallon that had a overly fed goldfish and a almost dying pleco. I asked the teacher if she would mind it if I could take over the care of the tank. She was VERY gratefull and pleased. After I looked around in the garage I found a simple T5 fixture and an Acuaclear filter. The original stuff she had was just what you get with one of those aquarium kits.....not to mention the impeller on her filter was missing a blade. So....some looking around, a quick order of plants, a trip to the lfs to rehome the fish, and a little time I was on my way. I've been taking care of it once a week since the beginning of the school year. It's been great teaching the kids about what plants need to grow....cycleing...fish care..co2....all that kind of stuff. I get tons of compliments on it every time I go in there for maintenance. It's been very rewarding and a great way to get my "fix" while I'm building up a new 90g in my livingroom.

So....My advice to you would be to ask around some of the local schools to see if they have a tank in need. If they don't, maybe you could ask for some donations from the local pet store to start a learning tank at a local school. You could even ask around on Craigslist. I'm sure that there are a bunch of people that would love to donate the fish "junk" (gold) they have laying around in the garage.

Good luck!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Find a large clear vodka bottle or something and create a little mini "biosphere" with shrimp!!

Or you could always do a victorian style plant terrarium...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
why cant you set one up?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Come on here and look at all the pretty tanks. That's what I did when I didn't have a tank after I moved out of my parent house.

Just 1 more I promise......

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Houseplants with a few artificial shrimp and fish stuck in the pots on sticks? In all seriousness, that is the first thing that came to mind.

Jgmbosnia1's idea is also nice.

Last edited by tetraontheedge; 01-23-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Clarify the sincerely nonsarcasm.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Have one at work????? :P

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I hang out here and live vicarioiusly.

If it were up to me, I'd have at least one tank in every room of the house, plus a big fishroom...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
why cant you set one up?
I'm in a studio apt, so i don't have room for it. I tried the whole "fish in the closet" thing, but my new place doesn't have even that much room. Also, i'm gonna be moving from Indiana to Texas in about 6 months, so right when the tank were to hit its stride, i'd have to restart.

I'm being REAAAAAALLY patient and waiting till i get to Dallas to start my new tank up. Besides, i could only do a 29 here at school, while i can do a 75 once i get to Dallas
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 glass cylinder from Walmart (held maybe 3 gallons)
1 bag of polished river stones from dollar store
1 Betta and 1 Bunch of Anacharis from Mom-Pop LFS.

Cost me about $20 and would fit anywhere. I used it for 2 years, which is the longest I have gone without a "tank".
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd totally put a small planted 3-5 gallon betta tank on the wall somewhere...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
in the mean time... i would suggest...

maybe...

Ooooh... I know! Visit your local aquariums and volunteer!

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!

SunSun Pimp #39
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
IMO something like this would be cheap, easy, and cool!! Not quite an aquarium, but it's getting there...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfalconf35 View Post
what do you do to get your fix.
Plan your next one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode