Burned leaf tips - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Burned leaf tips

I apologize in advance if this is a repeat of past queries from others but & seem to be doing a good job of "burning" the tips of many new plant leaves. I have a 110g that is newly set up (10 days). 2 Emperor 400's, 300w Ebo-J, DIY CO2 2L, not enough light! ,. In the process of cycling, my nitrites are very high and I am concerned that this is causing the die off of the few live plants I have started in the tank. I big bunch of java moss on a piece of driftwood, 2 brazilian swords, and a boivanis sp?. PH is now around 7 due to CO2, water pretty hard KH 15, GH over 30. Temp 80. 5 Brazilian rams, 4 German Rams. Any suggestions?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How much light do you have on the tank? I personally would be worried about the fish in there. You'll need to get some fast growing plants in there to uptake the ammonia and nitrite that's present due to the cycle. I'd get some hygrophila polysperma or hornwort in there that will do better than other stems in a lower light setting but will also uptake the ammonia and nitrite that are present. It depends on how much light you've got, though.

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Welcome, bob

Rams are not good fish to cycle with and most people these days do a fishless cycle http://tropicalresources.net/web/art...s_cycling.html
As you tanks go through the process of cycling you will have spikes in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate which is harmful to fish.

As far as the plants, if you don't have enough light as you stated then the leaves of the plants should not be getting burned. On the other hand not enough light will cause plants to die off. What type lighting do you have? and how much (wattage)?

When starting a planted tank you need to add the plants before the fish and a lot of them, mostly fast growers to start with to soak up all the bad stuff.

If you can I would think about removing your Rams for now and get a lot of fast growing plants to help cycle your tank.

He who angers you, controls you!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If it's a planted tank the "fishless" cycle method is a waste of time. Much better to do a "silent" cycle. You can find info on the "silent" cycle in my Guide and many other places on the Internet.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
If it's a planted tank the "fishless" cycle method is a waste of time. Much better to do a "silent" cycle. You can find info on the "silent" cycle in my Guide and many other places on the Internet.
The way I read his post is that the tank was set up with fish first then later a few plants where added, I would not consider this a planted tank from the get go; this is why I suggested fishless cycling. My bad if I misread the post.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question

If I am to understand "sufficient lighting" correctly, I am looking for 3-4 watts per gallon...110 gal tank = 330-440 watts? How many bulbs are we talking here. I haven't done a lot of shopping for bulbs but it seems like what I have seen is in the range of 40w for a 24" bulb (there are 2 30" lights on this tank). It looks like I may have to do a DIY hood that will hold 8 bulbs??? Or are there higher wattage bulbs that I haven't seen?

Bob
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With a 110 gallon tank you can start with around 200 watts of light. I'm not sure of the dimensions on your tank so I can't offer much specific advice. But you really should check out www.ahsupply.com. But I will hazard a guess and say your tank is 5' long. You could go with two 96 watt kits and stagger them or you could go with 2x96 and 2x55 watt kits but then you would need to add CO2 to the tank. It's much easier to start with a lower amount of light and work up IMHO. And yes you are going to need some sort of canopy for the lights.

And Normal Output florescent lights run around 10 watts to the foot. So 2' lights generally run around 20 watts or so. That's why Compact Florescent lights are much better. A ~22" bulb will give you 55-65 watts. Add the AH Supply reflectors and you are set.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Rex, the dimensions of the tank are 60"L, 18"W, 24"H. 110g oceanic show tank. I looked at the www.ahsupply.com site and am impressed with what is available and excited to get into some of the retro kits, building a hood in the process to hold all of it. Now just have to come up with the $$$..... . I do have a DIY CO2 going for the plants that are already in there. Do you have any idea if the leaves on the plants are turning brown and dying from the higher nitrite levels? I am still doing daily 30% water changes to try to keep those levels down, but they return almost as soon as I turn around. I have never had this much trouble getting a tank to cycle in the 10 years that I have had tanks!
I have a large carton of Amrid by Hagen. I am sure that you have heard of it. Even though it looks as though its primary purpose is to lower ammonia levels, do you think it would aid in the lowering of the nitrite levels also? I am stumped...
Bob
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If plants are dying in the tank and it's not cycled then they are adding ammonia to the tank when they die and it's being converted to nitrite. You might want to see if you can find some Bio-Spira locally and put that in the tank. It's a product from MarineLand that actually does help cycle a tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode