Newbie Starting a 60 Gallon Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to prestonyale
Newbie Starting a 60 Gallon Planted Tank

Ok guys, need some input

I have a 60 gallon tank that I am going to grow plants in.
What I would like to know is how I can make my plants flourish and grow well? I do not want to use c02 injection +, I cannot afford it anyway. What setup for gravel do I use? Do I need aquatic fertalizer then use the fine gravel substrate I have on top?

A little bit about the tank-

The Filtration I will be running is (2) HOB Emperor 400's As well as (1) Eheim 2217 Canister Filter.
The Lights are (2) 18" 15 watt.

The tank is going to be Tanganyikan, so the plants I would like to use would be from Africa in the Anubias family such as nana, barteri, and I will be adding Java Fern. I want to go with plants that grow well in high PH as well as low light. There will be a limited amount of Driftwood in the tank as well as some river rock.

At the moment, I have been growing 4 Anubias nana (Attached to Lace Rock) and 2 Java Fern plants in the substrate (Fine Gravel) of a 36 Bowfront. I was using FLOURISH once a week for about a month and stopped. I just now took those plants out and replanted in a 55 for now, but I noticed that the Anubias nana attached to the rocks rather well however the Java Fern 3" 1 was growing ok but the other that was next to it seemed to be withering away.

My goal is to secure the Anubias Nana to my driftwood, or just secure the plant in the niches/cracks of the wood & have some growing in the substrate as well. As far as the Java Fern, I want to have that grow TALL, maybe 2 thick bunches within the river rock into the substrate.

I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks.

36 Bowfront, Finnex FugeRay, (2) Eheim 2217 Filters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode