What a horrible end to my night - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Unhappy What a horrible end to my night

So two weeks ago I bought a fluval egde, this was the tank I had always wanted and had just saved up enough to buy. I bought a few pieces of beautiful Ohko rock and a small fortune (for me) in rare mosses, as this was going to be a relatively low tech tank. I put a ton of my old filter media into the tank and had no ammonia spikes whatsoever...

...So today I bought livestock from my LFS for my edge (A BEAUTIFUL Ninja Betta). Its late, I get home go to float the fish bag in the edge and what do I see...........?

(any guesses?)

A CRACK ABOUT 5 INCHES LONG ON THE TOP PANE OF GLASS!!!

...sonofagunpoopsicksinmyfaceandbarfforbreakfast!! !

I immediately drained my tank and removed everything. The last thing I need is to wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of glass breaking and a small flood.

So this giant aggressive betta is in the only other tank I can put him in ... my RCS tank ... I acclimate him and introduce him in the dark just hoping and praying he doesn't see/make for my shrimp. HE darts immediately into the corner and I flick on the lights...
... Low! and Behold! a juvie RCS half way down the hatch!

Its not soo bad the RCS in that tank are my lower "grades" anyway and I have to admit seeing him go to town was kind of hilarious. He was like OMG NO WAY! TOO MANY CHOICES!

I digress...

First thing tomorrow I'm taking it back to Petco and demanding a refund in CASH. The major reason for purchasing the tank was that it was rimless and since Petco has no other variety of rimless tanks and I'm not about to get another edge and go through this all again I'm just gonna go buy a DoAqua and be done...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Order a Mr. aqua...just as good almost...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigarden View Post
...sonofagunpoopsicksinmyfaceandbarfforbreakfast!! !
I'm sorry about your tank, but this made me laugh!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
wow that sucks. I hope you get your money back, but more than likely with will only offer store credit.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm gonna escalate it until I get cash; seeing as they don't offer a product that meets my requirements or hasn't already critically failed on me I can't see what ground they have to refuse ... I mean I haven;t even had this 14 days
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the thing is I need a tank now or Mr. ninja betta will eat ALL of the 200 plus shrimp in my tank.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigarden View Post
the thing is I need a tank now or Mr. ninja betta will eat ALL of the 200 plus shrimp in my tank.
put him in a large bowl. It's better than those cups they keep them in.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
did you pay in cash, the only time they give cash back is you paid in cash... Sorry about it poor RCS
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'd be happy with it back to my debit card too. IME I've never had a problem returning anything as long as there was a valid reason even outside of Petco... I'm hoping I have no issues as the only one LFS in town has any rimless tanks

The betta came from a 20gal holding tank at another LFS... not your normal betta slpendens. I'm fairly certain If I tried a bowl he'd get super stressed and die...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry to hear about that. Was it the 6 gallon? I walk by those hip looking tanks all the time and have not noticed the sticker. How much was it? Hope they get you a refund.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Maybe go to Walmart or something and get a bare 5.5g? If you feel he won't be comfortable in bowl, something like that would probably work a little better then...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yes the 6 gal tank. It was over $100.00 so I'd better... funny thing is my cheap aqueons I've had for years take plenty of knocks with no problem. The super expensive high end tank I barely touch and it breaks?!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Algae Grower

What do you think caused the crack, i.e. defect, our lovely vancouver water quality, betta kung fu kick? lol But anyways, take it back and tell them it was never used. It should be an easy transaction.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)
we had the same thing happen, took it back to the store and made them open the next one to inspect. ours cracked right across the top in line with the opening.
my guess was they stacked to mush or to many on top. we were impressed with the packaging so it would have to be something severe to cause it.

hope you get it worked out

Fluval EBI Pimp #3
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear about your tank and your RCS. But at least your betta won out on this mishap. I had to return a tank to them about a month ago, and they refunded my debit card in about 5 days.

Tags
betta, crack, edge, failure, fluval

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode