nuisance algae(diatoms?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
nuisance algae(diatoms?)

i have lots of these brown algae(probably diatom) stuff in my gravel. it is most concentrated on the part where there is the most ambient light. the tank is away from direct sunlight. i cannot remove it through regular vacumming. any ways to kill the stuff? h2o2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
How old is your tank? This is regular for newly setup tanks. Any bottom dwellers or cleanup crew?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Does the algae seem very light and whisp-like? If so, then you almost certaintly have brown diatoms.

I had the same problem bigtime when I setup my 10gal. Believe it or not, some 3% (food grade) H2O2 really did do the trick. What it does is oxidize the algae, turning it from brown to a green or even whitish color. It is then significantly easier to remove and did not come back readily, at least for me. I treated the tank while it had HC and DHG in it, and neither plant suffered unduly (though most of the HC was beyond saving at this point).

DISCLAIMER: I did not have any fauna in the tank at the time. I do not know about whether or not this will have any longterm effects on the tank. I simply had tons of brown diatoms, and it was either dose the tank with H2O2 or scrap all of the plants. I was very satisfied with the results. Your mileage may vary.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Algae Grower

i'd just throw in some bristlenose or ottos

i believe diatoms are mostly composed of silicates and once all of it's been used up in the water they'll start to disappear(correct me if i''m wrong) so best to just wait it out do water changes etc.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armonious View Post
Does the algae seem very light and whisp-like? If so, then you almost certaintly have brown diatoms.

I had the same problem bigtime when I setup my 10gal. Believe it or not, some 3% (food grade) H2O2 really did do the trick. What it does is oxidize the algae, turning it from brown to a green or even whitish color. It is then significantly easier to remove and did not come back readily, at least for me. I treated the tank while it had HC and DHG in it, and neither plant suffered unduly (though most of the HC was beyond saving at this point).

DISCLAIMER: I did not have any fauna in the tank at the time. I do not know about whether or not this will have any longterm effects on the tank. I simply had tons of brown diatoms, and it was either dose the tank with H2O2 or scrap all of the plants. I was very satisfied with the results. Your mileage may vary.
what would be the dosage?
How many times a day should i dose?

Last edited by specks; 01-20-2011 at 11:22 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had an outbreak of Diatoms in my 20 g. Three Ottos cleaned it up in less than a day. They are great little fish.

Sunsun Pimp #46 - HW 302
Always lurking on TPT to learn more!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just ..wait
That is all. In 2 months at maximum ....they will be gone
But i muts tell you one thing. I have 4 tanks...3 started with default filter but for the 4th ..it was build by me with a huge air driven sponge filter (no diatoms in that tank right from the start)
And anothet thing. If the problem persists it is a probability that you have a high load of silica in your tap water. than....if that is the gase ..a RO unit is for you

DO NOT USE ALGICIDS...never
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
+1 on the clean-up crew. Otos eat diatom algae like candy, and BN plecos seem to eat that and plenty more. Otos are cuter, though, and they will bounce around from leaf to leaf as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode