Top off water? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By mgeorges
  • 4 Post By lksdrinker
  • 2 Post By mgeorges
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 172
Top off water?

High tech planted tank

For evaporation I’ve been topping off with tap water with Prime but I read how this is not good because TDS will keep building up?

I do have a RODI 5 stage unit for my saltwater tank, is it better if I use RODI water for top off? I was under the assumption that tap water with prime is better because of the minerals and trace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 11,457
Evaporation will leave minerals behind in the aquarium (only the water evaporates). Topping off with tap water will increase TDS.

Using RODI is generally recommended for this purpose, but it depends (on how much evaporation is occurring, how often you change water, etc)

Anthony


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 172
In my 17 gallon I have 500ml Evan per day and 35% we weekly for water change do I use tap?
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Planted Member
 
MaroMan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alburtis, PA
Posts: 161
I would not use tap since you have the RO water on hand for the reason Darkblade48 stated above, you will have a buildup of nutrients, using the RO water will keep the nutrient levels more stable as is what you want in a high tech tank, stability.
MaroMan is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
mgeorges's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Shawnee, KS
Posts: 1,287
We dose our own traces(or at least we should be), so relying on your tap to provide them is not a good plan. If you're relying on your tap water to provide ANYTHING other than H2O, you need to take a close look at your dosing and reevaluate.
As the previous posters have said, you have the RODI available, use it for top offs. Otherwise, you'll start to get TDS creep and you can see your GH and KH start to increase over time.
mgeorges is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 819
Not all tap water is the same, nor is everyone's water changing schedule. If you have soft water that is low on mineral content and you do large weekly WCs such as I do, then it isn't going to matter much, IME. I never top off my high tech planted tank with r/o because of the large water changes it gets weekly due to the fertilizing schedule. Minerals are constantly being removed. Plants are also consuming GH. What little minerals are being added during top offs with my tap once a week is insignificant, IMO. Others may disagree. That's fine too.
madcrafted is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
mgeorges's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Shawnee, KS
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
Not all tap water is the same, nor is everyone's water changing schedule. If you have soft water that is low on mineral content and you do large weekly WCs such as I do, then it isn't going to matter much, IME. I never top off my high tech planted tank with r/o because of the large water changes it gets weekly due to the fertilizing schedule. Minerals are constantly being removed. Plants are also consuming GH. What little minerals are being added during top offs with my tap once a week is insignificant, IMO. Others may disagree. That's fine too.
@madcrafted You're WRONG! Everyone does exactly 50% WC on Sunday! How dare you go against the consensus here! Lol.

All kidding aside though, if I recall correctly from previous postings, moderately hard water is being used. Probably a good plan to top with RODI, or skip top-offs during the week I suppose. I think he(she?) needs to get away from the idea that tap water is providing minerals for plants. It is, but we don't count on those minerals because we dose everything our plants need. Or at least we should be...
madcrafted and madcrafted like this.
mgeorges is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
High tech planted tank

For evaporation Iíve been topping off with tap water with Prime but I read how this is not good because TDS will keep building up?

I do have a RODI 5 stage unit for my saltwater tank, is it better if I use RODI water for top off? I was under the assumption that tap water with prime is better because of the minerals and trace?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Evaporation will leave minerals behind in the aquarium (only the water evaporates). Topping off with tap water will increase TDS.

Using RODI is generally recommended for this purpose, but it depends (on how much evaporation is occurring, how often you change water, etc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMan View Post
I would not use tap since you have the RO water on hand for the reason Darkblade48 stated above, you will have a buildup of nutrients, using the RO water will keep the nutrient levels more stable as is what you want in a high tech tank, stability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
We dose our own traces(or at least we should be), so relying on your tap to provide them is not a good plan. If you're relying on your tap water to provide ANYTHING other than H2O, you need to take a close look at your dosing and reevaluate.
As the previous posters have said, you have the RODI available, use it for top offs. Otherwise, you'll start to get TDS creep and you can see your GH and KH start to increase over time.

Sure evaporation is going to leave minerals behind. Yes your tap water might cause TDS to increase. But that doesn't necessarily mean its a problem or going to wreak havoc in the tank. Everyone's parameters are going to be different so there is no steadfast rule to use RO water for topoffs! Its a waste of time and money for most people's tanks whether they're high tech or not.
Blindly suggesting to use RO/DI for topoffs without knowing more details about the OP's tank, or water parameters, or tap water parameters borders on crazy IMO! I guess there is no harm in using it, but there might be benefit for certain circumstances as well.

The things that make up the total TDS in your water are probably not the same dissolved solids in my water.

OP said he loses about 500 ml per day in a 17 gallon tank which works about 1 gallon a week and does 35% water changes weekly. So at the end of the week (without topoffs) there is roughly 16 gallons of water left and he removes roughly 5.5 gallons during a water change. The evaporation seems minimal and unlikely to cause any huge parameter swings.

@[email protected] How long has this tank been running and are you encountering some sort of problem that you think could be caused by using your tap water for top offs? If there is no problem to be seen then there is no reason to try and fix it! [

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
lksdrinker is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
mgeorges's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Shawnee, KS
Posts: 1,287
I think we're starting to make this unnecessarily complicated for someone who is relatively new and seems to be struggling a bit based on a string of recent posts. I think @Darkblade48 nailed it. He has RODI, he should use it for top-offs. Topping off with roughly a gallon/wk of RODI isn't going to break the bank, and it keeps things very stable. He has talked about water parameters in other posts, so I'm making my recommendation based on prior knowledge.
dukydaf and dukydaf like this.
mgeorges is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I think we're starting to make this unnecessarily complicated for someone who is relatively new and seems to be struggling a bit based on a string of recent posts. I think @Darkblade48 nailed it. He has RODI, he should use it for top-offs. Topping off with roughly a gallon/wk of RODI isn't going to break the bank, and it keeps things very stable. He has talked about water parameters in other posts, so I'm making my recommendation based on prior knowledge.

High Tech planted tanks are unnecessarily complicated ....especially to those new to the hobby. I think the best way to succeed is to try different things, and learn why those work or dont work.

Is there anything to confirm that the OP is not seeing stable water parameters while using tap water for top offs?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
lksdrinker is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 172
Wow I’m so shocked I dosed phosphates 1ppm yesterday I test today it’s 0 however my Nitrates dropped from 20-40ppm to 5-10 ppm!!!
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome