lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
lighting

Hey guys, I just joined today but I have been doing planted tanks for a long time, but my question is. I got a new 72 gallon bow and I want to do this up right. What kind of light would you suggest I do to be able to grow dwarf hair grass? The reason it is a problem is because the tank is so narrow, but I also have a top on the tank so if anybody has any suggestions on a system. I am thinking of LEDs or a halide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Planted Member

How deep is the tank? From what I hear LEDs and the shiza, if you have the cash go for it but T5HO have worked very well for me but if the tank is really deep flourescent light may not penetrate far enough but halides can be excessive on a planted tank (IMO).. I would say T5HO or led and they can sit right on the tank with little energy/heat consumption/production..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
i would stay away from halide's unless you want to keep the fixture 18 inches above the tank because they just produce wayyyy to much light that it makes it almost impossible for you to provide enough co2 for your plants to utilize all that light. I would stick with a T5HO or if you have the money go LED.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
i would stay away from halide's unless you want to keep the fixture 18 inches above the tank because they just produce wayyyy to much light that it makes it almost impossible for you to provide enough co2 for your plants to utilize all that light. I would stick with a T5HO or if you have the money go LED.

How do you figure? If you put a 250 watt MH fixture over each side then sure you ahve too much light for a planted tank. But the same thing would be true if you put 250 watts of T5 HO on each side. It has nothing to do with the light being metal halide.

You could run a 70 watt MH bulb over each side. The heat is the only real downside to halides. You usually have to run them with a fan in the summer time.

And just throwing some LED's over the tank won't be much different than using T5 HO's unless you get LED's with the right optics to penetrate with a tight angle. And then you get multiple spotlights in the tank, but the bottom will recieve more light.

Were it my tank I would just get some T5HO's and call it a day. But halides are certainly an option. Don't be fooled into believing that "they are just too strong". You can simply get a lower wattage metal halide fixture.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelnick View Post
How do you figure? If you put a 250 watt MH fixture over each side then sure you ahve too much light for a planted tank. But the same thing would be true if you put 250 watts of T5 HO on each side. It has nothing to do with the light being metal halide.

You could run a 70 watt MH bulb over each side. The heat is the only real downside to halides. You usually have to run them with a fan in the summer time.

And just throwing some LED's over the tank won't be much different than using T5 HO's unless you get LED's with the right optics to penetrate with a tight angle. And then you get multiple spotlights in the tank, but the bottom will recieve more light.

Were it my tank I would just get some T5HO's and call it a day. But halides are certainly an option. Don't be fooled into believing that "they are just too strong". You can simply get a lower wattage metal halide fixture.

yeah i guess you're right i guess usually when i think of metal halides i think of reef tanks but yeah if you get low wattage metal halides they work. Also i usually refer to hoppy's chart a lot for my lighting suggestions.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
yeah i guess you're right
I shoud also point out that most of the bulbs out there were designed for a reef type spectrum as well. So T5HO may give you more bulb choice.

70 watt halides can be hard to find good bulbs for because the higher wattage MH fixtures are more common palce over reefs. Ask me how I know

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode