Tetra Schooling Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tetra Schooling Question

So I have 5 cardinal tetras at the moment and thinking about getting 5-7 more.. If I was to put say a dwarf gourami in there with them, will they school because of the larger size of the gourami? Or does anybody have any ideas on getting the fish to school without stressing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)
How big is your tank?
Also, I'm pretty sure they'll school if you want them to or not, with or without the gourami.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Cardinals will constantly shoal. They only really school if theyre firghtened.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)
Ahh, sorry I always mix school and shoal, I just assumed this is what you meant.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

School/shoal/swim together, it all works.. It's a 30 gallon so I suppose not to much swimming room.. It's 36" long.. I see what you're saying, I wouldn't want to frighten them.. You think it comes down to the more I have the more they'll shoal? I understand I can't have too many in a 30 gallon. Thanks for the posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
Well IME the more you have the better they stick together. But what I think Chad was getting at is cardinal tetras don't school as well as say rummy nose tetras. They just hang out in a loose group, where as rummy nose swim in a much tighter formation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmmm, had I had a 55 gallon setup I'd go them but their just a tad big for a 30 gallon I feel.. Rummynose get to about 2-3", yeah? But I have heard that..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
Well IME the more you have the better they stick together. But what I think Chad was getting at is cardinal tetras don't school as well as say rummy nose tetras. They just hang out in a loose group, where as rummy nose swim in a much tighter formation.
This has been my experience, as well. I started with 6 cardinals and, for the most part, they did their own thing and only occasionally hung out together. They also stayed in the plants much of the time. I've since increased them twice to 11 and currently to 15 and they almost always all stay pretty close now. They also spend most of their time out in the open now. I guess they were just more insecure with the lesser numbers.

They definitely are shoalers rather than schoolers, at least as I how I think of those two terms. I think of shoaling as just hanging out together, but not necessarily being active swimmers or always insistently following each other. I think of schooling as not just hanging out together but swimming more actively and more urgently trying to stay close together. Cardinals are excellent shoalers if kept in higher numbers and rummynose are excellent schoolers. Mine are always on the go except when the lights go out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode