Using a python with an outside hose? Water too cold to add? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using a python with an outside hose? Water too cold to add?

It would be dang convenient for me if I could run my python through the window and syphon old water out into my yard, then add new water from the outside hose bib. However, in the past, I have always added water that was roughly temperature matched to my tank.

Now that I am starting a planted tank and (theoretically) doing weekly 50% water changes, it's not safe for my fish to add 50% cold water to a tropical tank (78 degress), is it? I assume doing this would send the overall temperature plummeting, and I don't even know how long it would take my oversized heater to bring it back up.

Please let me know if refilling with 50% cold water is safe or insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
How cold is the water coming from the hose bib? I think the temperature will average out somewhere in between the two if you change 50%. So if that temp isn't too low you should be fine.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Algae Grower

Most likely insanity!!! That sure is alot for real cold water! Imo 25% would even be pushing it for me, but I tend to take more precautions than most.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
How cold is the water coming from the hose bib? I think the temperature will average out somewhere in between the two if you change 50%. So if that temp isn't too low you should be fine.
What's too low? 60? 55?

I could try it out a couple of times before I get fish to see how far it plunges, but I imagine the drop will be significant.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
depending on how heavy your going to be dosing ferts you can get away with alot less than 50% WCs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Algae Grower

If its around 60 degrees I dont think that would be that much of a problem. Some fish will actually like cold water, and even cause them to spawn! I was thinking the water you were adding was much cooler.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
depending on how heavy your going to be dosing ferts you can get away with alot less than 50% WCs
Planning on a pump of PFertz M and N (possibly also P) twice a week. Maybe adding K later. If I'm doing that, can I change 20%? I think changing 20% wouldn't kill the temperature, though it's sure to drop it.

If it stays at or above 70, is it likely fine?
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I do 50% water changes with water as cold as 55 degrees, every week.My fish love it, my shrimp do too. Promotes breeding in many species.

I can't imagine your water is much cooler than that.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I live in a warmish climate, but I've never tested the temperature of the hose water (not surprisingly). I clearly need to do that and try some water changes to see how cold the tank gets.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
I do 50% water changes with water as cold as 55 degrees, every week.My fish love it, my shrimp do too. Promotes breeding in many species.

I can't imagine your water is much cooler than that.
This is very encouraging. If others out there follow this practice without ill affects, I will feel completely safe to refill with unheated hose water.

I guess the only thing I need to make sure is that Over Stocked doesn't have some unique set of fish that happen to be more able to withstand the cold.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I am keeping rcs, yellow, and snowball shrimp--hardy, but not super creatures. For fish: rasboras, otos, Dwarf PIkes, long fin bushy nose plecos, l144 plecos, and a gamut of apistos. Tank normal temp is 78 for most of them. Temp never drops below 65 on my controller.

Cold water stimulates spring rains for many fish, which promotes breeding. Temp acclimation is a crock of crap, for the most part. The big water parameters that shock fish are KH, GH, and TDS-which is directly relative to GH and KH.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I do cold water WC's for the most part. My tank drops to ~60 degrees Fahrenheit at the most and I've never had a problem either. The heater usually warms the tank back up in a couple of hours.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i dont do it from outside but my ro system taps directly into a coldwater line and it pumps into a 50g drum that sits next to a door. the room has no heat and that drum gets real cold
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
MY problem with that is.. What about the pressure that builds up in the hose when you turn off the python...I too was thinking about it, until I couldn't figure out a way to hold off the pressure...other than a gang valve, but can't think of anyway to make it work.

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
The correct use of homophones in the title of this thread was for me like a breath of fresh air.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode