Internal Filters! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Internal Filters!

I was wondering if a internal filter like an eheim 2012 would work for 40 breeder moderately-heavy planted with 1 male apisto cockatoo and 2-3 females maybe some shrimps or snails

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It would work just fine. I used to have a 40B with an eheim 2012 for an african cichlid tank.

Also into tanganyikan cichlids and my reef aquariums.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
You might want to check out the fluval u series as well. I don't know much about them but i've seen them around quite a bit and they look really good. Do a lot of research and check out some reviews first though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

- Check out my photos

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm sort of curious as to why internal filters aren't more popular. I read so many horror stories about broken filters spilling water on to the floor, this won't happen with an internal. So I figure they would be more popular than they are. But from reading the customer reviews of internal filters it appears most of the people buying them are using them for turtle tanks.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
It's possible people don't even know about them (besides sponge filters or the ones for tiny aquariums). I had no clue there was an Eheim internal until I read this thread. I wish I'd know about them as I'd have used one instead of my external Eheim.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I'm actually using internals exclusively ATM, but all my tanks are small. I like them better than power filters, which are generally noisier and less reliable, and canister filters would be overkill on my tanks. I also use some to double as CO2 diffusers.

I don't think they're more popular simply because they take up space inside the tank and are more distracting than a tube from a power or canister filter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
Yea, I think they work pretty well, but they aren't as popular because external filters have a few advantages. Extra water volume, less in tank equipment, better surface agitation, and the ability to customize filter media being a few.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I clicked on this thread because I don't know much about internal filters. I don't really see them in stores or in pictures of tanks. They are probably a little more reliable, and I'm sure they're quieter. I do have to admit a certain bias toward things that are more complicated, it gives me the illusion of technology. I'm sure the American bigger is better viewpoint helps too.

I'm off to google, thanks for this.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
I've been considering trying one of the Eheim interal filters for the Walstad 20L I want to set up next . . . of course first I have to figure out where the hell I'm going to put it, LOL!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
of course first I have to figure out where the hell I'm going to put it, LOL!
There's the problem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode