Tanks with no stands - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tanks with no stands

Does anyone with a standless tank, run an ATO?

Iím going on vacation in November, and donít want to have to worry about my tank.

Prob is, I already have cords coming out of the tank for a heater, power head, an intake-return from the canister, and my diffuser.

So, asking others if an ATO makes it look even more cluttered, or no big deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Depends on the definition of ATO, perhaps? A couple questions as well may help with the idea. Do you plan to set it up as a permanent thing so that appearance really matters or is it just for safety while you are gone and nobody will see it who cares?
I have a trusted lady who comes by abd does the minor stuff like check temps and feed but I do not expect her to routinely add water. Just part of the deal that she is not expected to have much to do! So I set up temporary top off jugs when the time comes. They involve a gallon jug setting on top and certainly are not something I would want there full time but they are fine with her and I'm not there.
A more electro-mech setup would depend on how well chosen the level sensor and assorted parts before I could say how much a permanent setup would bother me. A tiny float switch to control a pump in a reserve water barrel would be something I would hide in some type of wood decor.

Think the internet gods are not watching you? I posted on this ATO idea and now get this ad!!I don't think it meets our needs very close, though?
http://numerex-itank.mvinc.net/?CID=mv40540_230911

Last edited by PlantedRich; 04-20-2018 at 02:55 AM. Reason: added
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Algae Grower

I have an ato on my tank. Iíll take a picture in the morning to show how it looks on the tank. I donít think it adds that much clutter. I have heater and airline tubes along with light cords.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Do you really have that much evaporation that a vacation would make a difference? How long is your vacation? How will the fish be fed?

I was away for 10 days in December. I have a glass canape and used a couple of Eheim Everyday Feeder's (and lights are always in 24/7 mode and on a timer [6a-12a). Everything was fine. Since my submersible heater is near the bottom of the tank, no evaporation would make much difference.
ATO is fine, but does add another element of risk of failure....like sticking on when no one's around.

(I'd rather come home to a tank where the water was a couple of inches lower then when I left than a big mess.)

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelandusn View Post
I have an ato on my tank. Iíll take a picture in the morning to show how it looks on the tank. I donít think it adds that much clutter. I have heater and airline tubes along with light cords.
That would be awesome. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Do you really have that much evaporation that a vacation would make a difference? How long is your vacation? How will the fish be fed?

I was away for 10 days in December. I have a glass canape and used a couple of Eheim Everyday Feeder's (and lights are always in 24/7 mode and on a timer [6a-12a). Everything was fine. Since my submersible heater is near the bottom of the tank, no evaporation would make much difference.
ATO is fine, but does add another element of risk of failure....like sticking on when no one's around.

(I'd rather come home to a tank where the water was a couple of inches lower then when I left than a big mess.)
7 days. Automatic feeder. I lose anywhere from .5 - 1" of water in an 8 hour span.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post

Think the internet gods are not watching you? I posted on this ATO idea and now get this ad!!I don't think it meets our needs very close, though?
http://numerex-itank.mvinc.net/?CID=mv40540_230911

LOL

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-22-2018 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig44 View Post
I lose anywhere from .5 - 1" of water in an 8 hour span.
3 inches a day? Do you happen to live in a giant box of desiccant?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:09 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
3 inches a day? Do you happen to live in a giant box of desiccant?
Check for leaks. 1.5 - 3" per day of water loss is not normal.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry. Forgot to post pics yesterday. Here is what it looks like on the tank and under the stand. The bucket I use to hold water takes up the most space. The three circles in the tank are leftover from a pump I took out and not part of the system. Somehow the pics are upside down and sideways. Not sure how to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE4F8B52-7A3B-40DB-A25B-6A89C07D241F.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	848609  

Name:	F73CD52E-DE1D-4462-917D-16567F774116.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	848617  

Name:	F6874060-DF4E-4858-B614-55A99E856BB8.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	848625  

Name:	D91A5720-6188-4E34-9C7C-1026824ED984.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	848633  

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:15 PM
Algae Grower

Also, I donít know how it measures by inches but I lose around 7 gallons a week on a 90 gallon open top tank.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelandusn View Post
Sorry. Forgot to post pics yesterday. Here is what it looks like on the tank and under the stand. The bucket I use to hold water takes up the most space. The three circles in the tank are leftover from a pump I took out and not part of the system. Somehow the pics are upside down and sideways. Not sure how to fix it.
Which brand ATO is this?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

looks like that is a tunze. there pretty good one of the best. but i found there pump to be to loud for my liking...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

It is a tunze. The pump is noticeable but it is only on a few seconds a couple of times a day so doesnít bother me. If the tank were in my room it might bother me if it were to kick on during the night.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Use any pump on your Tunze Osmolator ATO | How To Tuesday
Some pumps like the Cobalt EXT pumps are super quiet.
The Toms aqualifter will work too. It uses air pump hose lines for water.
The Tunze is well made. I have 4 units and trust them.
The money spent is like insurance for the home. Not bad after a year of robot refills and no damages to the home.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode