Is there something wrong with seams of my new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is there something wrong with seams of my new tank

It's a new Aqueon AGA 45 gal. Only one weird bubble on bottom corner- but I can't quite tell, could just be a silicone squiggle

One seam (where glass meets glass at corners) looks almost perfect. The others are questionable- seem to have dried something between the glass? this isn't on the outside where I can feel it w/my finger, and it doesn't look like normal bubbles. Had to get a photo of the rear edge using a mirror:

Other seam:

It goes almost entire length top to bottom

closer pics-

Should I return/exchange this tank? is this normal? don't see anything like it on any other tank I have. I don't care so much about the cosmetics, I just want to know its safe and not going to leak or bust open on me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Might be nothing, but those bubbles and imperfections in the silicone imply a less than perfect bond between the panels. If thats a brand new tank that you havent even flooded yet, then I'd probably try to exchange it.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well its filled to the top for leak check and leveling, sitting in my house on the stand. But not planted or anything in it yet...

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's shear stress caused by the glass being pulled away from the silicone.

It may be fine, but it may not. If this was a brand new tank, I would not find that acceptable and would return it immediately.

If you ever disassemble a tank, that's exactly what happens to the silicone just before you cut through it.

|
|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just here to report that neither of my tanks’ seals look like that, so I’d be a little concerned.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:16 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
It looks like somebody run out of silicon. I personally would exchange it. Water all over the floor 2 months from now will be a lot more expensive.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yep,return ASAP,disaster waiting to happen...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ahhhrgh, ok thanks for the input guys.

I was feeling pretty good about how level the floor was (off by less than 1/16" and only in one direction), how stable the stand, bought GFCI power strip to install inside the stand (outlet is right behind the tank, makes me a bit nervous as well)-

and I emailed the manufacturer my pictures. They said exactly the same thing is said to anyone else I saw on other forums- it's gas bubbles, it's caused by the humidity when the tank was put together, it's not going to impair the tank's integrity, it's just cosmetic. But if that's the case (humidity factor) why are three seams looking like this, and the fourth one looks perfect.

It's a real eyesore if nothing else. I can't stop looking at the worst part of it and I can't sleep well. And I was so excited for this new project!

Well, I'm draining it now. I called the store and they said I can exchange just the tank, don't have to take in the stand and hood/lights part of the kit (thankfully, because I've already got the stand situated and shimmed perfectly level). They have two other of the same set. I REALLY hope one is in better condition than this- what if they were made on the same day, by the same person in the factory... ?

Have you ever asked them to fill up a tank in the store for you to inspect? I'd feel like I'm putting them out to do that, but it's a half hour drive there and back for me; I don't want to bring another faulty tank home.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode