Algea after flooding DSM - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algea after flooding DSM

Hi members. Flooded my 260l tank 2 weeks ago. All good until green and black slimey algea appeared on front carpet plants. I think flow is good. Lights on 6 hours, co2 full blast. Water changes done. Any ideas?

Plant:Grow:Replant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Well plants go through transition phase once it's flooded so not much uptake initially. So probably insufficient bio-filter (plants/media) probably brought on the BGA.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Well plants go through transition phase once it's flooded so not much uptake initially. So probably insufficient bio-filter (plants/media) probably brought on the BGA.
It's tetra 1200 plus filter. Lots of media inside. Also added bactistart as recommended.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And lots of plants in the tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180409193847_1524076041409.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	847545  

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:34 PM
Banned

The bio-media take a while to mature and that is not heavily planted. So to compensate you need lots of water changes (semi-weekly 50%) and organic removal media (carbon, purigen, etc.).
madcrafted and madcrafted like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok. Will see what I can do. Will add some big plants and media. Thank you very much for advice. Greatly appreciated

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Algae Grower

I did a DSM as well and just flooded a few days ago. The day after I was growing a good mass of mold, perhaps algae ( brown /white ). In hind sight I was using a large amount of fertilizer, liquid mixed with water, sprayed directly on the substrate. It makes sense that once flooded that extra and I mean extra fertilizer was being devoured by something.

I've jumped into the deep end. ( 1st planted tank flooded 4-15-18 ) - Dirted with sand cap - Very messy when water was added.
75 Gal, Fresh Fluval Plant 48" Bluetooth. Co2
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by punciitis View Post
Ok. Will see what I can do. Will add some big plants and media. Thank you very much for advice. Greatly appreciated
More plants the better. You could always remove them once the tank starts to mature to get the look you want. I would also keep up with water changes.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem-airem View Post
I did a DSM as well and just flooded a few days ago. The day after I was growing a good mass of mold, perhaps algae ( brown /white ). In hind sight I was using a large amount of fertilizer, liquid mixed with water, sprayed directly on the substrate. It makes sense that once flooded that extra and I mean extra fertilizer was being devoured by something.
So... What's the solution? Did u get rid of algea?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
More plants the better. You could always remove them once the tank starts to mature to get the look you want. I would also keep up with water changes.
Trying to do as many water changes as possible...will stock up with plants. Visiting pet shop tomorrow. I also have 30litre nano tank scaped and have awful problem with slime on wood and substrate. Tank is month old now. Any solution or idea?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I expect this to be a long process. I manually cleaned out the first wave, I have already noticed a second. ( I cleaned up the first part last night / tooth brush and suction).

There are a lot of factors, My CO2 is currently low with all of the water changes that I have been doing. My water is still murky due to the dirt substrate.

If it's algae I am kind of OK with it though I want to control it a bit until I get fish, snails, and perhaps shrimp in the tank. Having that algae growing already would be great when I introduce the clean up crew.

Since I am just starting I plan to take at least a few weeks to monitor my water outside of doing a a couple of water changes each week to remove any leeching from the substrates/wood I installed.

I can keep this post updated as I go, though I wanted to add my two cents regarding why the algae may have bloomed when you flooded.

I've jumped into the deep end. ( 1st planted tank flooded 4-15-18 ) - Dirted with sand cap - Very messy when water was added.
75 Gal, Fresh Fluval Plant 48" Bluetooth. Co2

Last edited by Rem-airem; 04-18-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: grammar
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Trying to do as many water changes as possible...will stock up with plants. Visiting pet shop tomorrow. I also have 30litre nano tank scaped and have awful problem with slime on wood and substrate. Tank is month old now. Any solution or idea?
I can't see it in the pic, but if it's a slimy dark green sheet like algae than it's actually BGA (Blue-Green Algae) which is really a bacteria. If you don't want to wait it out, Erythromycin will take care of it very quickly. The pet shop should have it in the fish med section. There are also a few other products that deal with it, but I can't think of the name. They all are effective.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem-airem View Post
Quote:
I expect this to be a long process. I manually cleaned out the first wave, I have already noticed a second. ( I clean up the first part last night ).

There are a lot of factors, My CO2 is currently low with all of the water changes that I have been doing. My water is still murky due to the dirt substrate.

If it's algae I am kind of OK with it though I want to control it a bit until I get fish, snails, and perhaps shrimp in the tank. Having that algae growing already would be great when I introduce the clean up crew.

Since I am just starting I plant to take at least a few weeks to monitor my water outside of doing a a couple of water changes each week to remove any leeching from the substrates/wood I installed.

I can keep this post updated as I go, though I wanted to add my two cents regarding why the algae may have bloomed when you flooded.
I know. My first attempt with DSM and I went 260litre... Busy on water changes. But will try to stock up on plants and media. Hopefully all be good soon. Bad problem with my 110litre previous with algae but after hydrogen peroxide treatment and lots of lost shrimp it's good again. Just a stage the tank has to go through I think...

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
I can't see it in the pic, but if it's a slimy dark green sheet like algae than it's actually BGA (Blue-Green Algae) which is really a bacteria. If you don't want to wait it out, Erythromycin will take care of it very quickly. The pet shop should have it in the fish med section. There are also a few other products that deal with it, but I can't think of the name. They all are effective.
It's Ireland and it's hard to get anything decent here in shops. Most things has to be bought online. Will ask guy in pet store...if no then online shops will have it.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I were to do a dry start, I would flood the tank afterwards and let filter run a few hours and then do a 90% water change. Then follow up with 50% water changes everyday for a week. Most people usually have standing water when they dry start and the mold/algae process has already began. This is why I would never add water to the substrate when dry starting, except to mist the plants and maybe the first quarter inch of substrate. You'd be surprised how quickly that substrate will be completely saturated after a few days of misting. Emersed plants need oxygen too. As houseofcards mentioned, the use of carbon or purigen in the filter will help keep organics low until plants start growing in well. I believe ADA uses carbon for the first month so of starting a new tank. I would also run without fish in the tank and crank CO2 up around 45-50 ppm during this time. It will help with transitioning.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode