keeping pH down - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
keeping pH down

Does anyone have advice on how to keep the pH of a tank down. I noticed that the pH of my tank was a little high so I also tested my tap water. The test only goes up to 8.8 and the tap water seemed to be above that. Luckily my tank isn't that high, but I want to know if there is a way to keep it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
are you sure that your test kit is accurate?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
1. Time

2. Peat filtering

3. Driftwood

That said, pH stability is usually more important to the health of your fish than the value (unless it's way out of whack, I guess)

Apart from the three things I mentioned, I'd stay away from trying to change your tank pH. Especially with a chemical like phosphoric acid / pH down. Buffering will cause your pH to bounce up and down, and the phosphorus will cause algae blooms.

My 2 cents,

Tom

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
are you sure that your test kit is accurate?
Yes, I tested multiple faucets just to make sure. It's never had any kind of strange readings before.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.shelly View Post
Yes, I tested multiple faucets just to make sure. It's never had any kind of strange readings before.
i think that higher than 8.8 out of the tap is strange. try it on a bottle of spring water and see what you get.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
yea spring bottle water test is a good idea. I heard of people with crappy water but not with a ph that high.

What type of test kit are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powchekny View Post
1. Time

2. Peat filtering

3. Driftwood

That said, pH stability is usually more important to the health of your fish than the value (unless it's way out of whack, I guess)

Apart from the three things I mentioned, I'd stay away from trying to change your tank pH. Especially with a chemical like phosphoric acid / pH down. Buffering will cause your pH to bounce up and down, and the phosphorus will cause algae blooms.

My 2 cents,

Tom
Thanks. I've been thinking about adding more driftwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
yea spring bottle water test is a good idea. I heard of people with crappy water but not with a ph that high.

What type of test kit are you using?
It's the API freshwater test kit. I don't have any bottled water right now, but I'll pick one up later. Should the bottled/spring water by at 7?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

spring water probably wouldnt be exactly nuetral but would be closer in range.

since you are going to pick up some water. get some distilled water. it should have a ph just below 7
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Algae Grower

So does it take alot of drift wood to drop the ph? and my tap water is really high too. Though mine comes from a well. How much does peat in the filter help? I have a chemical and my water reacts and turns milky white every time for like a week and not much budges bc of the water changes i have to do to correct the chemical (and i was even under dosing).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

quite a bit. in a situation like that i would say to use ro water or a mixture of ro and your well water to get your parameters where you want.

what chemical are you using?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Algae Grower

I believe its called proper ph 7.0, i volunteer at a local fish store and the manager told me it was a chemical reaction when it happend. since which ive stopped bothering with ph until now. Also i like to use ro when i can just dont have the patiance to let it come to temp seein how its winter.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

dont mess with those buffers. if i were you i would use ro water mixed with some warm water from your tap to get the temp up to where you want it
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Adding colder water is not only fine, but actually stimulates breeding in many fish and shrimp.

I use water as cold as fifty degrees for fifty percent changes. If you are making ro at home just add a heater to the collection tank..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider View Post
I believe its called proper ph 7.0, i volunteer at a local fish store and the manager told me it was a chemical reaction when it happend. since which ive stopped bothering with ph until now. Also i like to use ro when i can just dont have the patiance to let it come to temp seein how its winter.
Avoid these buffers like the plague. They are phosphate buffers not intended for planted tanks and you likely end up with fluctuating ph.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

good point
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
matthew - as someone already mentioned, a stable pH is more important than a "perfect" pH value, if the tap water is at 8.8 but the tank water is lower, I would guess you're in a good range as long as it's stable What is the pH reading in the tank and how long has the tank been set up / how long have the fish been living in it? Because if they've been happy for a while, I would just leave well enough alone personally.

I would DEFINITELY advise against using any buffering solutions, and go with the peat or DW option for a long term, stable buffering down of the pH.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode