1Likes
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to disperse CO2 in a 22g long tank?

Hi All,

Been a lurker for a while, but just joined so I can post this question. I'm just getting started with aquascaping and need some help. Here's my setup:

Mr. Aqua low iron 22g long tank (36"x12"x12")
Eheim 250 filter (not sure if I'm sticking with stock tubes or going with lily tubes yet)
Hydor 200w inline heater
Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 CC Customizable light
Some type of CO2 system (looking at the GLA GRO series with a 5 or 10lb tank)
Drop checker to manage CO2 levels (with solenoid timer I assume)

Question is regarding the CO2.

If I get a glass diffuser (something like the ADA one), do I need to worry about getting those bubbles to disperse around the tank properly? Or will the Eheim send them swimming in its current adequately enough for my plant life? Is placing the diffuser near or far from the output tube a must?

I realize my tank is somewhat small, but the shallow depth has me worried that the bubbles will escape the top before they can get to the full three foot length of the tank. My plant life will be typical Iwakumi - carpet (HC-style perhaps), with red and green stem plants and some moss (all of this is still up in the air, but that's the plan for now - I want to keep it simple this first go around).

Any advice? Do I need a Hydor circulator maybe? Am I over thinking this?

Thanks in advance!
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can either get an inline, or put the glass diffuser over an intake/circulator. Circulator being the cheaper method

PS:dont use the spray bar unless its spraying towards the other side. Use the hose instead and point it towards the far end.

20L Blue Dream
Eheim 2213
Matheson 3510
Finnex Planted +
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:15 AM
Algae Grower

Hi Tim!!
Diffusers are generally one of the less efficient ways of getting co2 into water ime. The goal is for the co2 to auctually be absorbed into the water before the bubbles surface. If the bubble gets to the surface the co2 has mostly escaped anyway (unless you have a gas tight lid that will let it slowly be absorbed or something else beyond normal lol). To do this effectively you want the smallest bubbles and to get mixed into the water. If your a diy person you may think of a way to do it, I personally bought an inline reactor for about $20, my co2 use was 25% of what it was with a ceramic disk difuser when i swiched since I went to refilling 4x a year to roughly once. Once the co2 is dissolved in the water as long as you have good flow it will spread in the tank. Your flow should leave no dead spots to the best of your ability but other than that it's subject to opinion and stock needs. Any small recirculation pump or wave maker can increase flow if needed. personally id see how flow was with just the filter to start though as a 20gal isn't excessively large to start pileing in more pumps.
I never used glass vs ceramic diffusers but maybe someone else can help if there are differences I'm unaware of.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:12 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Ha, here we go again.

I have the same tank and the same filter (2215). With a clean filter, the flow from the included pipes reaches the other end of the tank.
The easiest and the quickest method is to put the diffuser close to the buttom under the outflow.

Once you get comfortable with co2, you can read up on in-line atomizers and diffusers, their cons and pros, and decide for yourself if an extra $50 in equipment will make a difference to you and your plants.

When you do decide on a co2, make sure it can support output > 50 psi, just to cover all the bases.
Have fun.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 PM

I use a Fluval 106 with lily violet pipes and a Koralia nano 240.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	847489
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
I use a Fluval 106 with lily violet pipes and a Koralia nano 240.

Attachment 847489
Agreed with above, if you're worried about it. Place your diffuser near your powerhead.

Otherwise, it's not a big deal.

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode