Stocking Suggestions - 150 gallon planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking Suggestions - 150 gallon planted tank

Hi Everyone,

This is my first big planted tank. Its 150 gallons the 6' long. Currently I have plants such as amazon sword, java moss, java fern, anubias, anacharis some crypt etc. My toddler loved watching all the fish in the tanks I used to have. This is my only one right now. I want to put a good variety of active, colorful and some schooling fish along with a clean up crew.

Does anyone have any suggestions on types and quantities?

I would appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Algae Grower

I am more in your same boat than someone giving advice, but here goes!

I'm hoping to get 120/150/180 (something with 24" depth at any rate) once we move and I've been thinking about what I want to put in it. I have a 75g with pretty much the plants you described--minus the anacharis, and plus some val and wisteria. My substrate is pool filter sand and I've been debating what the new one will have...I might try some safe-t-sorb in a smaller tank to see how that goes. I will find it difficult to shell out big bucks for substrate I like the PFS overall except it is too white, and for better or worse it's completely inert.

Plant-wise, I'm hoping to focus on Val in the back (I love that look, tons of val reminds me of local rivers) and try some dwarf sag in the front. My current argentine swords (still small) and my crypts (which have had issues with brown algae, arg) may come over too. Plus numerous java ferns and anubias on rocks and branches.

Fish! Which was your question to begin with!
I'm going to try angelfish, which I never have had despite owning many cichlids and tanks in general (though I'm pretty much a planted tank noob.) They/it will be the "centerpiece". With those, I'll need to watch which smaller fish I get--avoiding nippers and future food items alike Lemon tetras and rummynose tetras I have owned before and I like them, especially in big schools. Black neons, pretty plain but also good schoolers etc. I'd like to get something for the bottom, either cories or smaller loaches (and my substrate decision comes in here somewhat). Some Bolivian Rams might be nice...I like the German blue rams but have had bad luck with those. Amano shrimp, some otos might round it out. I tend to stock lightly. Not sure I will get another SAE--mine is now huge and fat and chases other fish/fish food with more energy than he does algae, and I suspect he is the reason for my shrinking java moss...

Looking forward to more suggestions here, since they will probably help me as well as you!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

200-250 chili rasboras

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 08:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokely View Post
I will find it difficult to shell out big bucks for substrate I like the PFS overall except it is too white, and for better or worse it's completely inert.
I added dark brown & black pebble sized river rock to my Pool Filter sand to break up the "brightness" of PFS. It keeps the fish from rooting to deep into the sand and uprooting the plants but still allows them to do some sifting.

As for Fish.... I get a little O.C.D. and try to make all my livestock from a certain region. I previously had all African cichlids and currently have a (mostly) South American stocking. Is there a certain location you're interested in, color palatte, etc?

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode