Purigen in a Planted Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen in a Planted Tank?

Hi all,

It seems a lot of people sing the praise of Purigen and use it in their filters. In a planted tank, wouldn't this be counter productive by soaking up the NO3 required for the plants? I was looking at getting some as I always have high nitrate levels, but more live plants would probably help more!

Cheers,
Dale

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to dmastin
Best discussion on Purigen I've found:
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...itients.26850/
Thanks to https://www.ukaps.org/forum/members/ceg4048.36/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
If you're nitrate comes from an organic source ( decomposing food and plant material, fish waste, etc. ) then, yes, it will remove nitrate. If your nitrate comes from an inorganic source such as KNO3 then, no, it won't remove it.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
@DaleM adding Purigen will not reduce NO3 or absorb it.

Purigen is an organic scavenging resin, it will collect dissolved organics preventing them from entering the nitrogen cycle.

As @Jeff5614 said KNO3 will not be affected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Two points:

1) The marketing hype is that Purigen removes decaying organics before they decompose into nitrogenous compounds and produce nitrates. Back when my tank was fish only, I used Purigen (two pouches in my 60g) with another two for instant replacement as needed. Oh the material turned brown indicating it was collecting detritus, but I never saw it reducing tank generated nitrates at all!

2) After a long period of use, I found that Purigen was no better at promoting clear water than simple polyester filter floss. The Purigen pouches were retired to a storage bin. With the heavily planted tank, I just use bio-sponge material in filters...and the water is crystal clear.

(Note that on occasion I do use a Marineland Magnum Polishing Internal Canister filter with the micron cartridge charged with diatomaceous earth - nothing beats occasional DE filtration).

Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with Seachem or Marineland other than a purchaser of their products and receive nothing for mentioning the product(s) they produce.
EdWiser and EdWiser like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

I love using Purigen because it really helps polish the water well and I feel that it helps improve water quality. It isn't a cheat code to get you out of proper husbandry, but the stuff works well.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 10:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Do water changes to lower nitrate levels. When was the last time you cleaned your filter or filters? People tend to ignore those so they end up turning into nitrate cesspools.

AbbeysDad likes to keep 'mulm' AKA a layer of sludge in his tank, so adding Purigen Chemi-Pure Green or any other form of 'carbon' isn't going to do anything as the sludge is always there polluting the water. Snail poop regardless of the species of snail being kept contributes to the sludge factor.

Purigen, Chemi-Pure Green ( it is called that because it is plant friendly), ect... do well in tanks that are maintained. People tend not to use them that way though. They think if they put stuff in a filter that it will act like a magic wand so they don't have clean their tanks. None of them work that way. If that is your intention, you may as well throw your money out a window.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
Purigen, Chemi-Pure Green ( it is called that because it is plant friendly), ect... do well in tanks that are maintained. People tend not to use them that way though. They think if they put stuff in a filter that it will act like a magic wand so they don't have clean their tanks. None of them work that way. If that is your intention, you may as well throw your money out a window.
Well, it's just one of those days that doesn't happen often, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with my dear Smooch. Purigen, Chemi Clean, activated carbon, etc. are just a tool in the belt. Those along with good tank maintenance such as regular water changes, removing decaying and dying plant material and detritus that doesn't make it to the filter, regular frequent filter maintenance, etc. keep DOC's to a minimum. You can't toss in some Purigen, stop with regular maintenance and expect your tank to stay clean.
Greggz, Greggz, discuspaul and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
....After a long period of use, I found that Purigen was no better at promoting clear water than simple polyester filter floss.
One is chemical and the other mechanical so the latter wouldn't do much until it was removed from the fiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Well, it's just one of those days that doesn't happen often, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with my dear Smooch. Purigen, Chemi Clean, activated carbon, etc. are just a tool in the belt...
I agree, but I'm trying to find where someone said they were relying on just the Purigen.
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
One is chemical and the other mechanical so the latter wouldn't do much until it was removed from the fiter.

...I agree, but I'm trying to find where someone said they were relying on just the Purigen.
I don't think anyone did say that, but I was so shocked that I agreed with the general idea that Smooch posted I just had to mention it.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've been using Purigen for quite some time. Also run a UV sterilizer. And perform loads of tank maintenance. Kind of the everything but the kitchen sink approach.

However, in the interest of seeing if any of it really matters, I have been weaning myself off Purigen. Used to run it in all three filters. Have been removing it from one of the filters every two weeks, and am down to one now. So far I have seen no noticeable difference. We'll see once I remove the last one next week then run it without any for awhile.

Not to say I won't go back to it, just trying to determine if it's really doing anything or not.

Same for the UV sterilizer. Used to run it only after a water change, then just started leaving it on. Once I get past the Purigen weaning, that thing is next.

My suspicion is neither is doing a great deal, but I am going to find out.

---
---
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use it in one of my tanks. It definitely helps to polish that last bit that passes through mechanical. I find that those little pouches need re-charging more frequently than seachem lets on but it's easy enough to do. Every other diffuser cleaning I re-charge the purigen, so like every 6-8 weeks. I'm sure tank size, stocking, biomass, etc. all determine how long it remains active.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Does purigen remove meds like carbon does? Does anyone run both? No chemical filtration on my 55 right now, but running preventative meds right now so will need to order something by tomorrow to have it by the weekend water change.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

|

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I don't think anyone did say that, but I was so shocked that I agreed with the general idea that Smooch posted I just had to mention it.
hahaha
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Does purigen remove meds like carbon does? Does anyone run both? No chemical filtration on my 55 right now, but running preventative meds right now so will need to order something by tomorrow to have it by the weekend water change.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
I would remove purigen and use carbon to remove medicines... especially ones with copper in it. Purigen is intended to remove organic waste, not inorganic based or metals.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode