I set up a 12 Nanocube for a second tank. I bought a betta and 9 cardinal tetras. The betta was picking on one of the tetras so I took it and tossed it into my 29g planted. HUGE MISTAKE. And since I always QT fish, plants for 4 weeks before putting them into any tank I have I'm not sure where my brain was when I did that.
A few hours later I noticed the new cardinals were all covered in ich. Tons of research since I've never dealt with ich in either my SW or FW tanks in the last 6 years. I immediatley turned up the heat in my 29g to 86 degrees, cut of the CO2 and took the air stone off the timer and into 24 hour run mode.
Needless to say a few of the cardinals in the 29g started showing a few spots. I'm on day 6 of this heat only/no med treatment. The spots come and go on the cardinals but it's usually only one or two fish with 2 to 3 spots. My peppered cory's and golden cloud minnows are tolerating the raised temperature so far. I've only seen one spot on a peppered cory and none on my kuhli loaches. I've started adding VitaChem and garlic to the fish food which is Life Spectrum flake and tablets and frozen tubifex worms. But so far there is no full-blown outbreak. The cardinal I tossed in there must have died, I don't see it anywhere and if it died my amano shrimp would have devoured the carcass.
I pulled all the fish out of the 12 and QT them, the betta in one and the cardinals in another and started treating with Rid Ich. Only one Cardinal has survived and the Betta is starting to do better.
With higher heat and no CO2 the algae is starting to kick up so I've cut back on the light duration. But I can see a lot of new growth on the ferns and even some of the plants.
I will post updates and outcomes for future reference to others.