Talk me out of or into a tall aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By mmelnick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Talk me out of or into a tall aquarium

Here's my big idea. I'd like a tall tank, at the very least a 45, ideally a 65 (or whatever the gallonage is on those things) that I'd like to do in kind of an Amazon style without the actual black water. In other words, dark bottom with leaf litter and wood chunks, lots of tangled wood leaning vertically, with plants at the top near the lighting.

Co2 - No.
Excel - Yes.
Heat - No. House stays warm enough.
Lighting - Low but full spectrum.
Filtration - Some type of cannister.
Fauna - After cycling will add shrimps and some type of tetra probably. Maybe Diamonds or black neons.
Plants - Floaters along with something attached to wood at top near lighting. Big batch of wisteria? Anubias?

Goal - Low-tech Amazonian look with a messy natural appearance.

What do you all think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
why tall? could you not do that type of setup in any style tank? I have a 30 X tall which is 24" high. my only complaint is that its challenging to do maintenance only in that you have to reach more or less all your arm in to get to the bottom. Otherwise I have no major issues with the height.

in my opinion a shorter tank is more maintenance friendly better unless you are going for something specific that needs more height or a setup that is 50% filled palladium/vivarium etc...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was wondering about maintenance. Do you have a magnet to clean the glass? Reaching the bottom for any reason is my biggest concern.

I have a spot right next to my recliner that needs something with a narrow footprint. Plus I've always loved the look of high tanks.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you're going with low lighting and a deep tank you'll have a pretty dark tank bottom. But I don't see why it can't be done.
Chickinpic and Chickinpic like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I also have a 24" tall tank (65g). I don't think I would advise going taller unless you own a snorkel. I'm 6' tall and get my armpits wet working in the tank as it is. As tanks get taller and taller, there's also more of a disparity between lighting levels at the top vs. the bottom of the tank.

I love the look of the higher water column though. It allows you to grow crypts and swords that would lay across the surface otherwise. A taller tank would allow you to stack your driftwood to greater effect I should think.

The main downside is that you have to allow your plants to grow pretty tall if you want to use them to hide filter pipes, which makes them look kind of stretched. The more depth your tank has the more you can layer or tier plants to mitigate this effect. Theres an upside to this though. You can cut a foot and a half off of your stems at trimming time which may allow you to go another week or so longer than usual before they reach the surface again.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Algae Grower

I have a 56 gallon that is 24" tall. While I would prefer a longer tank I had space and stand limits so I went with it. I am liking it. I have 24" long "grabbers" for moving plants around. They work fine with everything except hairgrass and Starougyne reopens (not in photo below).

The HOB filter is going away soon...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Regarding the bottom, I don't intend on having anything planted there. The plants will be attached to the wood up near the lights, probably anubias.

My plan is for the wood to pretty much hide the filter tubing or at least disguise it for the most part. I'm picturing a big jumble of crisscrossed upright thin branches from bottom to top. Really wild and pond-like.

Kendrid, that's gorgeous. I love the dimensions.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
You can do it, but like everyone said, maintenance is a bear because you have to get in there and get wet.

You just need to have some plants like jungle val, hygro angustifolia, and other easy hygros and vals that will grow nice and tall to fill that vertical space.

You're going to run through a TON of excel... you'll want to try to find some cidex (medical sterilant) instead as it is 1/4 of the price.

Take heed though, vals and a few other plants don't like excel and will melt. (not always but a lot)

Tall tanks can be awesome... especially with some nice angels... but some of the stuff you are proposing will be tough to pull off...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My tank journals
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have a 40g hex that is 21" tall and over all more square shaped than it is tall. With the stand it came with it's 53" high, and with me being 5'4" that makes it very hard to work in the lower level of the tank. Like someone else said - I had a certain footprint to work with and got the tank to fit the space.

I was as one point looking at getting a very tall tank but decided against it because I just wouldn't be able to get down in there to work on it. Long handled tools are nice but just aren't always practical for every situation. I even make sure to shower before I work in mine because I am literally in up to my pits and I don't want deodorant getting in the tank :P

I have about 1.5 wpg on it and my plants do well. Along with plants in the substrate I also have plants attached to driftwood and other ornaments to add visual interest. Pic is below.

I love the look of a tall tank but unless you're very tall with abnormally long arms I'd advise against it.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's gorgeous, Wendy. I'm your height and lacking abnormally long arms.

Non, good point on the Excel. See, I hadn't thought of that. That's why I'm asking for feedback.

I was drooling over the Fluval Osakas today at Petland. Sigh.....They're 50% off and have been on sale like that for months, so I suspect I could get one for even less. An Osaka 155 for $300. Sigh............I think it'd be too wide though. Sigh.............

I've got a birthday coming up in a month so have that long to make up my mind on this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Those osakas are REALLY cool... I really like them. YOu should try to get one!!! At 50% off that is a steal!!!

Also, like wendy did, use driftwood or rocks or just pile the substrate to get things closer to the surface...

My tank journals
&
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Boo getting your armpits wet LOL

21" tall tank is good enough for me

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
A note about your fauna selections... With no plant cover on the bottom of the tank it will not be possible for you to keep dwarf shrimp with a school of tetras. They WILL all get eaten with the exception of perhaps Amanos, Vampire, or Bamboo.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a 110h tank and it sucks to clean the bottom.... I have to use something to reach the bottom. Plus for light to get to the bottom requires quite a bit.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Navi, good point about the dwarf shrimp. I hadn't thought of that.

I'm also considering a shrimp-only tank. I've got this image in my head of shrimps crawling around on a lot of vertically leaning wood.

Decisions, decisions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode