• 2 Post By Shaythesalmon
  • 2 Post By Functional
  • 2 Post By IntotheWRX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Working in an LFS

I'm looking for a Saturday job to earn a little extra cash (I'm 15) and a job has popped up in a well respected LFS. I trust them and have been going there for the past 3 years for all fish related stuff. Livestock is healthy, plant selection is pretty decent and they quarantine all fish unlike some others around here.

Anyone have any experiences working similar jobs? I read things about working in the pet/aquarium trade spoiling the hobby for people.

Please share your opinions!

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

I’ve never worked in a pet shop, but in my experience, working jobs where you have passion and interest is the most rewarding thing you can do. You have a huge opportunity to learn from anyone who comes in and practice skills, care for fish you may never have otherwise. You also never know where that type of experience will lead you in the future 🙂

Beats Walmart
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Algae Grower

it will depend on you. I worked at a pet store...love all types (except spiders and things with a lot of legs) and I will say after working there for 3 years (my steady high school job) it burns you out. I worked 5-6 days a week...so very different from 1 day. After doing maintenance and dosing, cleaning, etc. etc. etc. once I got home I didnt want to touch my own stuff. My at home hobby became more like a job feeling. It will teach you a lot though about working with customers/people, managing expectations and resolving conflicts...good skills to have in life.

I'd try it...its only 1 day a week, you can always find something else if you feel like it spoils the hobby for you.

Vin

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post
I'm looking for a Saturday job to earn a little extra cash (I'm 15) and a job has popped up in a well respected LFS. I trust them and have been going there for the past 3 years for all fish related stuff. Livestock is healthy, plant selection is pretty decent and they quarantine all fish unlike some others around here.

Anyone have any experiences working similar jobs? I read things about working in the pet/aquarium trade spoiling the hobby for people.

Please share your opinions!

Cheers
follow your heart

just do it

won't spoil. will inspire
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Working in an LFS

Thanks everyone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

i have to agree at one day a week theres really nothing to lose. you arent taking on a huge load. go to work, be responsible, and maybe learn something new. can't hurt.

Tags
aquarium shop, fish shop, lfs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode