Marsilea question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Question Marsilea question

I just bought some Marsilea minuta for a Fluval EBI I got for Christmas. I've got it all planted in the tank, but it's going to be a couple of weeks before I have any of the other plants I'm getting.

So, is it better to leave just a little water in the tank while I'm waiting? or go ahead and fill 'er up?

Thanks,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Fill the tank especially if your idea of "a little water" is similar to the dry start method where only the substrate is wet and the groundcover is started emersed. When you grow Marselia emersed the leaf form is totally different than the immersed form so it would have to convert back once you fill the tank.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Thanks for the response. I've seen posts where people have problems with hair algae or BBA, so I was just hoping to avoid problems down the road. It sounds like NOT filling it will definitely cause problems, so I'll add more water in the morning.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
If you only have a couple of inches of water covering the plant, then you will be more susceptable to algae problems... BUT... if you know what you're doing, it would be good to do to get that stuff to take off like crazy. I would think the intense light would really make it carpet nicely... though I'm not sure what would happen to it once it got to the regular light it would get.... anyways, maybe shoot for a happy medium... the less water you have over the top of it, the more light it will get... maybe fill it 1/2 or 3/4... My MM is a slow grower, and mine grows taller than other people's, and I attribute that to not having intense enough light... though maybe I don't know how to trim it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My tank journals
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

Tags
marsilea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode