Would this setup work with no filter and heater? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would this setup work with no filter and heater?

I always like to hear from many sources before doing something. It was suggested by L.R.Bretz's Aquatics in a video.
I was thinking of setting up a tank with no filter, no heater. It will have basic substrate, light, a lot of fast growng plants, guppies, cory cats, and of course other stuff like wood and rocks. I was wondering if this would work. I will still be doing water changes ever 2-3 weeks or so. Depending on the tank of course. I would use a heater if my room gets too cold but my room doesn't and should be fine for guppies and cory cats.

From my knowledge of aquariums, it seemed it would work but I just want to be sure. He says that obviously the plants would be the filter and don't have too much bioload of fish. To move the water around that is where the guppies come into play constantly swimming. I am no expert and wondering if this would work. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
It will work and it has been done. Floaters and ripparium plants can handle a higher level of bio-load, minimizing the need for water changes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The guppies will breed and quickly increase you bioload, unless of course you only keep males. also be selective with your cories, some require higher temperatures. Obv. I don't know how warm your room is- but if it dips into the low seventies I think peppered cories are a good choice they like cooler water. Curious to see how this works out for you. Show some pics if you do it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, forgot to mention I would get males, and yeah peppered cory cats were one of my 1st options.

Last edited by Aqua3; 04-11-2018 at 02:04 AM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Lucas has an amazing fishroom (or roomS) as well as some cool tub/pond/tanks outside that he even runs through the winter! I know he has some filter-less tanks that rely on plants for filtration. However, bear in mind these also are somewhat dirty water tanks, not display tanks.
As far as no heater, well you don't need one if you keep the room temperature high enough (like 75F+)...but most of us have it a bit too cool so having a heater is a good thing (Heck, my basement is a cool 55F in winter!).
I guess it depends on what your expectations are. I would opt for a small filter and a heater just to keep things stable. It doesn't have to be elaborate, just functional. Some folks go all filter crazy and the 4x to 10x GPH flow rate rule is a hobby myth - good filtration is about how well we filter water, not how much water we push through one or more filters. For smaller tanks (<75-100g) I like the Aquaclear HOB's as they allow us to decide what media we choose to use. I have mine filled with sponge material.
Anyway, back on topic - it will work...I would suggest a weekly water change instead of 2-3 weeks....especially with no filter.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua3 View Post
I always like to hear from many sources before doing something. It was suggested by L.R.Bretz's Aquatics in a video.
I was thinking of setting up a tank with no filter, no heater. It will have basic substrate, light, a lot of fast growng plants, guppies, cory cats, and of course other stuff like wood and rocks. I was wondering if this would work. I will still be doing water changes ever 2-3 weeks or so. Depending on the tank of course. I would use a heater if my room gets too cold but my room doesn't and should be fine for guppies and cory cats.

From my knowledge of aquariums, it seemed it would work but I just want to be sure. He says that obviously the plants would be the filter and don't have too much bioload of fish. To move the water around that is where the guppies come into play constantly swimming. I am no expert and wondering if this would work. Thanks.
possible but a balancing act

ive seen tanks with zero equipment. no lights, filter, heater. just soil, plants and fish

water changes once every couple months

growth will test patience

good luck

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode