Responce to Craigslist add - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Responce to Craigslist add

I have been trying for a couple of weeks to sell a tank on Craigslist. It has been prone to many spam mail and today just took the top of the cake.

Here is what I got from someone...

"That was a great looking setup. I have an impressive 150 gallon myself. Can i ask what kind of plants those were? I have been told (and have been successful somewhat) using plants and weeds from the yard and woods. An expert told me that most plants sold for freshwater were nothing more than plants you would buy for your yard or garden, and that the plants need sunlight, not air, to live. What kind are yours?
Thanks."

I can't even take the time to write back for this one....

Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5.65WPG, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Common sense is no longer common!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
LOL. I'd like to meet this "expert".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
And I just spit tea on to my keyboard . . . I rescued, fostered, and rehomed a mastiff last year and the responses to the adoption ad were every bit as bizarre.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I guess if this person has been "successful" growing yard plants in his aquarium and refers to that as "impressive" then it doesn't take much to be an "expert."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I'm finding it necessary to ad the following to Craig's list offerings.

If you're reading this, the xxxxxxxxx is still available. I will delete the ad when it has been sold/picked up.

I still get far too many replies, allegedly from iPhones, asking if xxxxxxxxx is still available. I don't know whether it's spammers trying to collect live addresses or if using and iPhone in combination with Craig's list causes brain damage.

Since I don't know, with that line in the ad, I feel no guilt in deleting the availability questions spam or not.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm finding it necessary to ad the following to Craig's list offerings.

If you're reading this, the xxxxxxxxx is still available. I will delete the ad when it has been sold/picked up.

I still get far too many replies, allegedly from iPhones, asking if xxxxxxxxx is still available. I don't know whether it's spammers trying to collect live addresses or if using and iPhone in combination with Craig's list causes brain damage.

Since I don't know, with that line in the ad, I feel no guilt in deleting the availability questions spam or not.

D*M* I about died laughing when I read this. I won't deal with craigslist...It's just a BS website. It used to be very good and reliable.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
I have had some really good luck with the site in the past but trying to sell this tank has been a pain! I have been getting quite a few replies with "do you still have the item? Please send your address and remove the item from craigslist. A money order will be in the mail soon." Junk! I guess I will reply back to they guy that my plants are all aquatic and they need light, water, and CO2 to photosynthesis. Depending on the set up, it might be a good idea to use fertilizers too!

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
i just sold some tanks that i got from an aquarium adventures that went out of business on craigslist. got a bunch of replies about how obama is messing up our government or giving free money or something and from a girl i supposedly met a while back who wanted to see me. lol
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Yes, you do get lots of nonsense responses to Craigslist ads, but it is still a very effective way to sell surplus stuff. I have sold a lot of stuff there and bought a lot too, with only a few disappointments. However, trying to sell aquarium equipment with the economy as it is today, with people dumping their tanks just to get a few more dollars, is very difficult unless you just want to get rid of it. But, that means it is also very easy to pick up some real bargains. Craigslist problems may be very different for different areas of the country too.

Hoppy
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i wonder if i could grow tomatoes in my tank now?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just my 2 cents.....
I have bought almost everything to fuel my addiction from Craigslist and have gotten some Ridiculous deals!!!!
55 Gal tank, stand, hoods with lights, heater, aquaclear 70, whisper 60, lots of chemicals and food, Gravel vac, and fish $200
20gal with hood, light and filter $10
125 gal tank, stand, lights(old) 4 powerheads for ugf, gravel vac, food, chems and fish $175
Eheim professional 2228 and a pro II 2028, aquaclear 70 New in plastic,
72" light fixture with 2 4' t8 and 3 100w halides with ballasts, auto feeder and river rock $220
I have not sold anything yet and from the sound of it .... I am not sure I want to, but Iam lovin the buyin part !!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
CL in the DC area is totally nuts. Everyone seems to think if they post all their angry political posts there that Obama himself will read it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode