Beginning Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Beginning Questions

Hey guys, so I have just set up my planted tank 3 days ago and I have a few questions. I have included attachments. Is the flow in the tank good for the plants or is it too much? Is the S. Repens doing well? They keep coming off the substrate and leaves keep falling off. The Crypts started melting but I have read that it happens in the beginning and they will recover. Is that right? The banana plants and narrow leaf java fern are not doing so well either. Any ideas why? Also, the water just keeps getting cloudy, I have done 3 water changes and added Purigen 2 days ago and no changes. Please let me know if there is a fix or reason for it. Thanks.

Last edited by GustavoMoura; 04-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
1. I can't tell by the pictures about the flow but a guideline is you should have most leaves very gently swaying in the current but not directly blasting plants.

2. The S. Repens looks like it may be melting.

3. Crypts melt all the time and should recover under the right conditions. Just trim the melted leaves and leave the roots in place. Also it looks like some of your Crypts are planted a bit too deep which can cause them to rot.

4. Not sure what the problem with the java and banana plant is specifically. Are you dosing any ferts? It could be shock from being added to a new tank.

5. Is the tank cycled? Often when the tank is cycling, the water can become a bit cloudy but this should stop as the tank matures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the information @oscarlloydjohn. What could I do to help the S. Repens from melting? I am dosing excel, flourish, potassium, and iron. I have not yet started cycling the tank and that is why I find it strange for the water to be like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoMoura View Post
Thank you for the information @oscarlloydjohn. What could I do to help the S. Repens from melting? I am dosing excel, flourish, potassium, and iron. I have not yet started cycling the tank and that is why I find it strange for the water to be like this.
I think in time, the S. Repens should come back if it has the right conditions. Even if you haven't "started" cycling the tank, bacteria will always grow if there is some ammonia source (which melting plants could create). Essentially most tanks will start cycling as long as they have an ammonia source. The cloudiness should go away as soon as it is finished cycling. Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post
I think in time, the S. Repens should come back if it has the right conditions. Even if you haven't "started" cycling the tank, bacteria will always grow if there is some ammonia source (which melting plants could create). Essentially most tanks will start cycling as long as they have an ammonia source. The cloudiness should go away as soon as it is finished cycling. Hope this helps
Thank you! Also, the flow is causing the alternanthera's stems to flow kind of hard, almost reaching the gravel. Is that a problem? I think that as they grow that will minimize but idk.

Bump: Also, could I trim all the leaves from the Crypts?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Gustavo,

Why don't you start a journal over in the Tank Journal section. That's really the place for ongoing discussion about a tank. Just copy your first post here and put it over there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode